View Full Version : Domastic or Savages?

Frozen
08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello,
I have a question.I always kept domastic discus and it had bored me.Now i think to buy savages discus becouse i heard that they are more interesting.If somebody can give advice i would listen with pleasure.Who is for, who against?
Thank you.

kaceyo
08-13-2007, 04:33 PM
I'd think that if domestic discus bored you then maybe discus aren't for you. Thats not to say wilds wouldn't be more challanging or give you what you're looking for, I've only owned one wild and that was 25 yrs ago, but I can't imagine discus being boring under any circumstances.

Kacey

Frozen
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Actually i am not bothered by discus, i already keep them for a long time. But times of Silicone Valley's have past. I want something natural, harmonious as the nature is.

brewmaster15
08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I enjoy them both....and they both have their merits in my collections. For me...the differences between the two are more in their behavior...not their respective needs from an aquarium keepers side of things..

Really my best advice here is see if you can find some healthy stock in your area...and give it a try....either alone or mixed with domestics.. wilds can be a beautiful thing in my book.

hth,
al

Frozen
08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
For exaple i like CuRipeR, TRAIRA green.

brewmaster15
08-13-2007, 05:32 PM
For Curipera you'll probably want to talk with Oliver at belowwater.com...its an expensive fish...he could probably get you most forms of wilds in season.

Dont rule out the common Blues which can have much red in them and striations..or the common Greens... an inexpensive yet beautiful fish....basically, pay little attention the the collection sites and more to the looks of the fish..Often times river names are attached as part of a marketing ploy.. The only ones that really know the origin of the fish is the collector.:)

-al

Frozen
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Thank you for advice.
I'll think about your advice,but I'll better buy from Germany , it's nearer.
Thank you for giving me this link.

brewmaster15
08-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Its Possible Oliver ships to distributors in your area...I believe he does..or did. Best bet drop him an email.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!:)

-al

pcsb23
08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Its Possible Oliver ships to distributors in your area...I believe he does..or did. Best bet drop him an email.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!:)

-al
Hustinx in Belgium I think.

Frozen
08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
brewmaster15
Thank you for giving link on Oliver's site, i wrote him a letter about what i wanted and he told me that he send's discus only to Germany, and he's going to Amazon to bring wild discus only in November.
And I am wondering how wild discus and domastic distinguish by their behavior?

Frozen
08-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Hustinx in Belgium I think.

I have a chanse to buy in Finland.But I am not sure.

oodi
08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi Frozen,

In my experience, the only difference is in their feeding behavior, in that the wilds tend to graze and domestics tend to gobble up food... at least in the beginning. I have a Curipera from Oliver that I've had almost 5 years... he now acts just like the domestics in that regard.

Judi
:)

Frozen
08-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello oodi,
If I settle wild discus to domastic?Would there be conflicts between them?
My tank is 530 l, 6 grown-up discus, some fishes are 20 sm and i want 5-6 wilds, is this possoble in this volume?

oodi
08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi Frozen,

I have kept wilds and domestics in the same tank with no problems. Just make sure you follow proper quarantine procedures before mixing any fish with your current stock.

If I understand correctly, your tank is 530 liters... this would easily accomodate 15 adult discus.

Judi

Blackwater Aquaria
08-17-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd think that if domestic discus bored you then maybe discus aren't for you. Thats not to say wilds wouldn't be more challanging or give you what you're looking for, I've only owned one wild and that was 25 yrs ago, but I can't imagine discus being boring under any circumstances.

Kacey DITTO!

Frozen
08-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Hi Frozen,

I have kept wilds and domestics in the same tank with no problems. Just make sure you follow proper quarantine procedures before mixing any fish with your current stock.

If I understand correctly, your tank is 530 liters... this would easily accomodate 15 adult discus.

Judi
Thank you for answering.You helpd me a lot.