PDA

View Full Version : nitrates in tap water?????

Giniel
08-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I recently got a report from our water company that I didn't really like. It says it has Nitrates at .5 ppm and toluline at .003 ppm and a lot of other nasties that aren't at as high a level . The toluline is a low rate but I am sure it is not good for fish. The Nitrates are at the highest of the stuff in my water. I checked the tank before a water change and the nitrates are at about a 5.0 and in the tap water is almost a 10.0.. What can I do to remove the nitrates from the tap water or is there anything ?
The water also has Barium at .02 ppm ,radionuclide at 2.4 pCi/L , copper at .023 ppm and lead at 1.9 ppb...can any of these actually hurt the fish?
I can't afford to get a RO system right now,so is there any other means of removing nitrates?

Thanks
Debbie

Don Trinko
08-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Look online at some of the pet stores . there are various chemicals that will remove nitrates. Plants will also. Don T.

Polar_Bear
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Neither of those levels is any cause for concern to your fish. Don't worry about it.

Graham
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Totally agree with Larry here, those levels are a non-issue

Giniel
08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Thank you guys so much!!! I only worry about the nitrates because there seems to be more after a water change than before I do one and then it drops slowly , but never goes below a 2.5 in the tank. I think I will try some live plants and see if that helps. I have bare bottom tanks ,so can I put them in small pots??

Thanks
Debbie

Polar_Bear
08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Debbie,
NO3 at 2.5 ppm is still nothing at all to worry about, if you do add plants you will want NO3 up around 10 ppm or so, at any rate. Yes, just put plants in pots that you like, the kind doesn't matter so long as they don't leach anything into the water column. Pots without holes in their bottoms are far easier to deal with.

Kindredspirit
08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Well there ya have it Deb:) Larry and Graham know their stuff!