PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to paint my Acrylic tank?

Discus1280
08-14-2007, 04:12 AM
I know this sounds like a dumb question but I was wondering has anyone painted an acrylic tank before. I bought a used clear acylic tank and wanted to paint the back, im wondering what is the best type of paint to use? Also if I decide to change paint colors later, would it be easy to take off the old paint? Brush or rollers? Any suggestions would be helpful. Take Care

Apistomaster
08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I just masked off all surfaces I did not want painted on a 125 Plexi-Glass tank, went to the hardware store and bought about 5 cans of Krylon spray paint. The finished paint job looks as if the tank had been constructed out of black Plexi-Glass.
Just be sure you want it black. It really sucks up the light. Not sure I would ever choose black again. I think I would choose the aquamarine next time. This is a very permanent decision.

One more thing. I painted the OUTSIDE surfaces.

Ed13
08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Like Larry says, you can paint it, but its permanent, in this case! You can't scrape it off!

Discus1280
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
If I used Latex paint would I be able to take off the paint in the future? Does anyone know what type of paint would be suitable for acrylic tanks instead of spray paint. Thanks

Ed13
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
If I used Latex paint would I be able to take off the paint in the future? Does anyone know what type of paint would be suitable for acrylic tanks instead of spray paint. Thanks
Unless is something you can peel off with your bare hands there is no easy removal, acrylic scratches too easy.
Be aware that acrylic absorbs moisture as it expands and contracts, if it absorbs the paint all the way through you may be in trouble. I would just put something behind it that can be exchanged at will, colored acrylic, background paper from th LFS, construction paper, painted cardboard etc.

RandalB
08-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Krylon Fusion works awesome but as stated.. Is non-removable..

mmorris
08-17-2007, 10:19 PM
I used the sandstone paint on the bottom of mine and it doesn't seem to be sticking well at all. Martha

Discus1280
08-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Does anyone know of any removable paint such as latex that can be used on acrylic that wont be permanent?

korbi_doc
08-20-2007, 08:22 AM
:) Don't think you'll find one, anything painted on acrylic will be permanent as stated above.....
When I got my used 110g glass tank, it had been painted black on the back; I didn't like it, so when I moved it down here to Tn, scraped it off & put a pc of polystyrofoam insulation in blue (that comes in 4'x8' sheets at HD or Lowes) on the back & it looks fine....the blue is light enough to show off the fish & insulates too.....other tanks I've painted with the sandstone spray, tan on the bottom & green on the back....

How 'bout the "back to nature" backs that go inside the tank? If I had acrylic, I'd sure want to try those...they look great, but are expensive....JMO, Dottie ;)