PDA

View Full Version : UV Steralize?

wilddiscuss
08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
I have heard this has worked for a lot of people. I do want to know though. Will it affect the Discus with a natural defense against disease? Doe's the UV do anything to the water quality I should know about? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Todd

Blackwater Aquaria
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
UV will only effect what passes by the UV bulb. I dont think it will harm the fish. Also there is the issue of contact time.

Troy Williams
08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi Todd, I used an inline sterilizer on a 4ft grow out tank for 9 months & found that no algae grew at all & the fish flourished. I used it with a Fluval 305 Canister filter with a water flow rate of 1000l/h. HTH.

Troy

wilddiscuss
08-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Thank you that does help. I am running a BB tank. I am also running a trickle filter. Can you run a trickle filter a canister and a UV on the same line? Or is the cannister not a good idea? Or just the UV and Trickle filter on the same line. Is there a place to get a good deal on UV lights? I think a 25 watt will do well for my 75 gallon. Is that all possible do you think?

Todd

Apistomaster
08-26-2007, 01:30 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59040

Cosmo
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
There are those who say that using a UV will decrease the fishes ability to fight off pathogens due to the cleaner environment.

I say "rubbish" lol

jerhbear
08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I've been running mine for about a month now, feeding off of the return line from a Fluval 203, I don't know about long term affects, but I have noticed that after a week of running it, the overall look of the water is cleaner, clearer, and more polished looking than it has ever been.

If the fish's immune system does become more sensitive to pathogens, I won't ever find out, because I don't plan on taking them out of an environment that has UV sterilization.

My 2 cents