PDA

View Full Version : QT tank and amonia

Don Trinko
08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
My QT tank has no fish in it most of the time so it is not normaly cycled. What does everyone do to remove the amonia when you to use it for QT? Thanks; Don T.

Kindredspirit
08-15-2007, 08:30 AM
How much ammonia are we talking about here? Did you test it?

Polar_Bear
08-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Don,
That's an easy one, water changes, water changes, water changes. My QT tank only has a sponge filter, and that only to keep the airstone in place. To my thinking a heater and an airstone are the only things needed in a QT tank, those and, water changes, water changes, water changes.

Don Trinko
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks; Amonia is 0 now because no fish. The filter was cycled but i haven't had fish in for a month and probably won't soon.
thanks; Don T.

Cosmo
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Don,

You can keep the filter cycled by adding a small amount of pure ammonia.. the bacteria colonies love the stuff! Just make sure you do a complete 100%+ WC before adding any patients.

Larry had the right prescription :)

Jim

Apistomaster
08-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Another easy way is to always have a spare sponge filter running in an established tank that can go into the quarantine tank whenever you have to place fish in it. This is much easier than trying to use ammonia to start cycling weeks prior to adding fish.
If you have that spare prepared sponge filter ready then purchases of impulse or opportunity are no problem.