PDA

View Full Version : How long can 9 Juvies stay in 65 gal??

markstr
08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Just Curious as to how long I can keep them in there..
WC's 2 x per day @ 50% , wipe down glass each day, clean filter
every other day at least ( AquaClear 110 with a prefilter which is always cleaned and a Hydor #5) Vacume out debri
Size of Discus- 3-3.5 inches..........
24 inches tall x 18 wide x 36 inches long on 65 gallon....

devonpond
08-16-2007, 06:33 AM
...WC's 2 x per day @ 50% , wipe down glass each day, clean filter every other day at least...

The standard recommendation is 1 adult discus per 10 gallons. However, population density can increase with consistent and large WC.

Given your stated cleaning & WC regimen, 9 adult discus could stay indefinitely in your 60 gallon tank.

Chances are you may be separating a pair or two anyway, though, if you go the breeding route.

salman
08-16-2007, 06:35 AM
If you have a bigger tank then why not move them in there? I think that you can keep them up until they are like 4 inches and then move them to a bigger home. But as mentioned above, you can keep them a little longer if you keep giving them WC and clean water.

Greg Richardson
08-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Mark. I have 7 adults in a 55 that are down to 10 to 25% wc a day.
Every third day 50%.

Since I have those BN I don't wipe the walls unless they start to thinking they are union BN's and then I have to wipe a small area.

I squeeze the sponges out maybe once every two weeks.

Have AC on back.

I have had no problems.

There is no reason at all you will have problems especially with your cleaning and wc schedule.

I'd cut it back once they get older.

I had 8 of them in there for quite a while.
As you can see I don't think to much about that ten gallon rule.

Harriett
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Indefinitely, as long as you don't slack on the water changes [at least 50% daily] and wipe downs [unless you get some BN plecos in there].
Best regards
Harriett

markstr
08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Jeez Greg,
you know, I have not as of yet put any BNs in this tank... I might as well start now!!! How many do think I should put in there since they are still rather small and have a ways to reach adults?????????? I know later when fully grown, most likely two...... hopefully M/F..........

Greg Richardson
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Mark. I have 3 in my 55's One has 4. They are around 2"
I'd definitely do it. Put 6 in if you want.
Cut down on your maintence.
You want to watch the burn out factor.
I plan on breeding mine also. Think that will be cool.

BTW. They eat with the discus the FBW, Tetrabits, and my BH mix so I don't feed them anything special.

pcsb23
08-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Indefinitely, as long as you don't slack on the water changes [at least 50% daily] and wipe downs [unless you get some BN plecos in there].
Best regards
Harriett
agree 100% :)

Green Country Discus
08-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I agree with all....forever till they die a ripe ole' age ;).