PDA

View Full Version : Has my fish given up?

hohm44
08-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi again, all. For the past two weeks I have had one of my discus is a 10 gallon medication tank. I did this because he had stopped eating in the main tank with 4 other discus. This fish was always the meekest of the five, being more skittish and chased away from the food by the more aggressive discus. Then his poop started to get white-clear and he stopped eating. I was advised to treat with prazzi-pro, which I did at the recommended dosage, to no avail. I was next advised to treat with metro, as he wasn't eating. I used sea-chem metro at high dosage (500 mg/day) and did 50% water change every day. On the second day of metro, he had huge poops of clear/white stuff, about 5 in row! Now, after prolonged treatment with the metro, he still is not eating and is getting thinner. His color looks improved, however. He is doing more sulking with his head down. Do fish smetimes just give up? Can I save this one? (As aside note, The bullying in the main tank has now been transferred to the next meekest, and he is not able to eat as much as a result, although I do try to spread the food around and he is still interested in food.)

Hans Kloss
08-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Do fish sometimes just give up?

Yes, if extremely affected by disease.

Can I save this one?

Maybe, but you must properly diagnose your fish at first, microscopic analysis of feces will be necessary to define your enemy. If fish is infected with internal worms then all your previous medication was useless, because metronidazole can kill only protozoa.
Hans

PS. Probably all your fish in main tank are infected, so problem will return within several weeks or months.