PDA

View Full Version : where can you buy ammonia?

HallooNYC
08-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Can you guys point me to the right direction as far as buying ammonia? I went to Target, Walmart, CVS and all they had were the lemon scented kinds. Is there a place where you can just buy pure ammonia?

thanks in advance!

DISCUS USA
08-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Have you tried a super market or one those 99 cent stores?maybe wanna try hardware store too.

HallooNYC
08-19-2007, 08:00 PM
yes, i've Tried a super Stop & shop as well. I guess I can try a hardware store. if i check the ingredients, it should only list Ammonia correct? no other additives and such?

Ardan
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
no other additives and such

correct:)
just pure ammonia

hth
Ardan

phidelt85
08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
I picked mine up at Ace hardware. It looks like this, but I didn't buy a fifteen pack. (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1307957&cp=&pg=2&sr=1&origkw=ammonia&kw=ammonia&parentPage=search&searchId=21432240164) I think one bottle cost me like $4

dwilder
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
small hardware stores have been the best places for me to find plain ammonia

HallooNYC
08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
I found it at after visiting two small hardware stores.

Thanks for the tips guys!

MaryPa
08-21-2007, 06:59 AM
I used ammonia for years to cycle my tanks but don`t use it anymore. I love Bio-Spira, add it to the tank and it`s fish ready ( instantly cycled ). I`ve use it in several tanks and have never had a problem occur.

Ed13
08-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Re: where can you buy ammonia?

If you run with my luck the clear stuff is nowhere to be found!:mad:

Apistomaster
08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
It has become more difficult over the years to find plain unscented household ammonia. Guess the producers don't realize not everyone wants Mountain Fresh ammonia.
Fortunately there is more than one way to "trash" a tank to kick start the nitrogen cycle.

Cosmo
08-25-2007, 11:07 AM
I buy mine at Jewel Food store. Hard to find cause they usually only have a few bottles, but they do carry it.

To play safe, shake the bottle - if it doesn't foam you're good..

wilddiscuss
08-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Re: where can you buy ammonia?

If you run with my luck the clear stuff is nowhere to be found!:mad:

I'll Buy some and send it to you of you want from ace hardware. It's close to my house. Like 3 dollars for the bottle alone plus shipping. I'd be happy to help you out. Let me know.

Todd

Apistomaster
08-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I used ammonia for years to cycle my tanks but don`t use it anymore. I love Bio-Spira, add it to the tank and it`s fish ready ( instantly cycled ). I`ve use it in several tanks and have never had a problem occur.

MaryPa,
The Biospira still need a source of nitrogen in order to assist cycling
the new tank whether that be live fish, rotting food or diluted ammonia.

phidelt85
08-27-2007, 03:09 PM
MaryPa,

That's a big 10-4 good buddy. I used to do "with fish" cycle. But I found the fishless to be the safest way to cycle a tank. You can cycle to the bioload you need, you don't stress any fish, and you aren't introducing potential pathogens to your display tank.

Terrybo
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
MaryPa,

Anybody remember a thread a couple of years ago where one fishkeeper mentioned that he produced his own urea/amonia source for cycling tanks?! LOL!:o

Terry

wilddiscuss
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Anybody remember a thread a couple of years ago where one fishkeeper mentioned that he produced his own urea/amonia source for cycling tanks?! LOL!:o

Terry

I just pooped in my tank...I started my cycle. Free of bacteria from other tanks...lmao. Kidding ofcourse.

phidelt85
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
OMG!! I about fell out of my chair. That's too funny!!

MaryPa
08-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Bio-Spira "instantly" cycles the tank,it`s beneficial bacteria. It has all your tank needs. I`ve used it in several SW and FW tanks adding the fish just hours after adding the Bio-Spira. I`ve never had an ammonia spike or lost a fish but each to his/her own I guess.