PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Question saltwater to Freshwater

wilddiscuss
08-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I had a thread in here earlier that talked about converting a tank set up froma saltwater tank to a freshwater tank. Although I have a few questions. I was told to use bleach and water. How deluded should the bleach be? I know it should be non scented...pure bleach. I am going to clean the inside and out of the tanks. I am going to replace the hoses that I can. I have heard I can boil the bio balls from the trickle filter. If that is true....how long do I boil them for? More than once? I will use some green scrubbies and sponges while cleaning all the tank out. Should I soak the submersible water pump in water and bleach..then scrub? I have also heard that I should use vinegar and water. Should I use that to clean the inside of the tank, and trickle filter...or should I use the bleach on everything? I am confused about what I should use where and how. Clean the whole thing with bleach and water, than if I need to used vinager and water? But what do I delude that to with water? Please help!

Todd

P.S. just talked to Cary Strong at Great Lakes Discus and he said to use strait rubbing alcohol in a bottle and clean. Soak what ever pumps over night in bleach and water. Rinse those with bleach really well and rinse the alcohol off once. It seems to me that is easier than having to rinse a whole lot of bleach out of the tank. What is everyone's take on that? Let me know

Todd

pcsb23
08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Todd,

I am not aware of many organisms that can survive a bleach solution at 10%. All I do is rinse/wash well with a 10% bleach solution and let it air dry. I sometimes rinse, though recently haven't bothered doing that.

wilddiscuss
08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your help....I got some cleaning to do!

Todd

Blackwater Aquaria
08-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Todd,

I am not aware of many organisms that can survive a bleach solution at 10%. All I do is rinse/wash well with a 10% bleach solution and let it air dry. I sometimes rinse, though recently haven't bothered doing that.

Where to you get 10% bleach at that you are pretty close to sodium hypochloride used in water treatment for disinfection in the filtering process. standard household bleach is nowhere near these numbers. Mike

Blackwater Aquaria
08-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I was lucky and picked up a 125 gal salt tank. Where I got it the owners were cleaning out a bulding and I noticed them trying to get the tank out of wall built around it so I stoppedto get a better look now I know that this buliding was vacant for with no power or heat if you saw these tanks you would not believe what was in them.They were filled with dead live rock half full of scummy water and some stuff I will not say.So these guys gave me the 125 and a75 gal tank. What a job it was to get them home so I could clean them.I filled both tanks after removing the junk inside with hot water and 4 jugs of bleach I left them sit for about 2 to 3 weeks I also have a compleat wet dry trickle filter and pump hoses and all the rest of the stuff soaking only in bieach. I am happy to say they turned out to be clean and healthy filled with Discus and live plants. To make a short story long ( HA HA ) I really dont think you reall need to go way out cleaning just use bleach and you will be fine. Good Luck to you matey. Mike PS look at the photo gallery at the pictures of the tanks I am talking about

jman
08-23-2007, 01:30 PM
No scientist here but I understand bleach when exposed to air and also sunlight will dissipate after 24 hours.

I have used bleach to clean tanks. Waited a day and then rinsed with a cheap declhorinator just to be sure.

JM

Ed13
08-23-2007, 04:06 PM
No scientist here but I understand bleach when exposed to air and also sunlight will dissipate after 24 hours.

Not exactly, light, air and any organics that make contact with it will start reactions and the Bleach will start to deteriorate, but its not a specified amount of time. It will basically deterirate to just water and salts.

Where to you get 10% bleach at that you are pretty close to sodium hypochloride used in water treatment for disinfection in the filtering process. standard household bleach is nowhere near these numbers. Mike

Yes, usually 12%-14% it's what its used for treatments when s. hypochlorite is used and if I remember household bleach is less than 2%
The 10% is what is usually needed to kill nasties from bacteria to fungus and even viruses.
1 3/4 cup per gallon in a 5 minute contact time is needed to kill mycobacterium bovis, so I asume its similar amount to kill mycobacterium marinum and other fish TB sp

pcsb23
08-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Mike, I think you misunderstood me :o or I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about a 10% solution of household bleach - we get commercial sodium hypochlorite anyway, and I use that diluted to 10%.

Ed13
08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Mike, I think you misunderstood me :o or I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about a 10% solution of household bleach - we get commercial sodium hypochlorite anyway, and I use that diluted to 10%.
Paul thats right, it is a 10% solution of bleach to water.