PDA

View Full Version : Redness behind gill fin

DavidH
08-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I have 5 young albino goldens in a 55 gal bb tank.
ph 6.8 to 7.0
amm 0
nitrites 0
nitrates .05
50 % daily water changes, regular wipe downs etc
I've had the fish 1 1/2 mths. All growing quite well.
All eating well even fed by hand. Outgoing and very friendly.
Noticed the smallest even though one of the aggressive, had blood red coloring behind
left gill fin. As all this one eats well and appears healthy in all respects.
Been this way for awhile, any ideas.

Thx Dave

Graham
08-25-2007, 06:17 PM
natural colour...the fish are fine and the colour will develop even more so

DavidH
08-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Hey Graham seems funny that this is the only one of the five that looks this way!
And only on one side.
I've been keeping discus for over twenty years and haven't noticed anything like this before.
First time I've had albinos. Guess I need to post pics just that they are young and camera ins't that great. I'll give it a try later.

Thx Dave

Graham
08-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Dave you've posted nothing that says these fish have a problem other than one coloured gill....it's nothing until some other symptoms show up.

Fish have an entire genetic soup in thier genes...there are no true breeds...all it takes is one little gene to throw back a red gill colouring

G

DavidH
08-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Thx G.

Dave.

Fishgirl
08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Mayb bacterial perhaps

forrest
08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
hi all,
i think what fishgirl meant was the 'join part of the fin n body',if im not wrong.
i ve encountered this problem as well n was trying to find out what problem it was.too bad i didnt find out anything but the fish was recovering by itself after sometime.

rgds,
forrest.

Fishgirl
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM
hi all,
i think what fishgirl meant was the 'join part of the fin n body',if im not wrong.
i ve encountered this problem as well n was trying to find out what problem it was.too bad i didnt find out anything but the fish was recovering by itself after sometime.

rgds,
forrest.

Yep that is right
I still stand by its bacterial,it has to be for it to go red in the first place.
But like Forrest said it just went away, it will with good water imo
The strange thing is to me is that it always seems to be on one side only
Anyone else noticed that?

Fishgirl

DavidH
09-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I do 50% changes a day.
Not affecting any of the other 4, so I think I'll do a wait and see.
Hate to just punt with meds.

Thx Dave

brewmaster15
09-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I too have seen it as forrest and fishgirl.. Its almost like the fish strained its muscles where the fin attaches... It goes away on its own.

hth,
al

Don Trinko
09-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Got paranoid when I got my 1st discus. As they grew red spots and black spots appeared. I even bought binoculars so I could watch from a distance. After close examinastion (and relaxation) I discovered that the spots I saw were just skin pigmentation. I have Blue Diamonds and the spots evetually disapeared as the matured.
Don T.