PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Cosmo
08-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Well Baby (cockatiel) is somewhere between the 8 and 10 week old range and a beautiful little bird :)

Trudy, however, apparently didn't get enough of parenthood and has started another egg laying cycle :( First egg today, so there will probably be one every other day for the next week or so...

Oodi suggested I start "Cosmo's Cockatiel Corral" and I may just have to at this rate :angry: :D cages aren't cheap :mad: :p

oodi
08-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Jim,

If you've got any empty tanks, they would probably work until the babies start flying.

Judi
:)

Cosmo
08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Actually a book we have mentions doing just that. Problem is, since I'm not going to hand feed, mom and dad have to be able to get in and out for feeding :(

I can see it now... flocks of Cockatiels flying around inside our house... bird droppings falling out of the sky like little bombs.. :p:D

oodi
08-28-2007, 11:20 PM
LOL... yup... birdie bombs everywhere. You better grow some new hands, cuz the ones you got are gonna be full!

Judi

April
08-29-2007, 12:02 AM
looks like all our simply members are going to the birds.. and dogs...
i have two cockatiels here...if you dont have enough..they were dropped off on my doorstep. they are noisy...

AmberC
08-29-2007, 06:28 AM
LOL Sounds like fun! :)

Cosmo
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Amber.. sounds like, ummm... work, money, mess.... :( lol

April.. 2 and now 3 are enough for us thanks :) and now we're looking at an unknown number of hatchlings out of an unknown number of future egg layings :(

Can't sell them or give them away until they're weaned.. which is 8 to 10 weeks! Where are going to keep all these things :confused: Guess we could put a cage on every floor of the house and let them communte to visit each other :D

Don't know the answer.. but... lol the train has left the station.. so to speak :p

AmberC
08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
lol.. I was being kinda sarcastic :) It is fun tho havin the babies. You could always put the male and his lady in seperate cages....

btw.. I think hand feeding is the best :) I've done it tons myself. We had a black masked lovebird once that I hand raised when I was in high school. She'd bite everyone but me lol

Then my lutino 'tiel I had before, I hand raised her too :) Her name was Duckie, my daughter named her lol. She was the sweetest little bird.

I am done with birds for a little while tho. I might go that route again when my daughters are older.

But I have had:
moluccan cockatoos
umbrella cockatoos
scarlet macaws
hyacinth macaws
lots of different lovebirds, parakeets (budgies) and cockatiels.

Amber

kaceyo
08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey Cos,
Have you considered converting a small closet into an aviary? Very roomy for the birds and no need to buy cages. :)

Kacey

oodi
08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Kacey,

At the rate Trudy and George are going, the whole house will need to be an aviary! :D

Judi

Cosmo
08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Kacey.. I'm afraid Judi is right :(

Amber.. how cool, I always wanted a cockatoo but couldn't afford one... now I'm too old :( :D From what I read, hand raising requires feeding every 1.5 to 2 hours 24/7 after they first hatch... I KNOW I couldn't handle that :p Pretty cool that you did it though.. hat's off you ma'am :)

Jim

kaceyo
08-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Judi,
I have seen houses (homes) that were turned into aviaries, it ain't a pretty sight! :( and there's no place to sit...

Kacey

Cosmo
08-29-2007, 06:58 PM
OMG .. what if the babies start having babies too :angry:

oodi
08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Kacey,

With 6 birds, I'm known as "the bird lady" in the neighborhood... but they only get out of their cages when Tad isn't home, since he's scared of them. :p

Jim,

They reach sexual maturity at around 18 months, so you have a little time to figure that one out! LOL

Judi