PDA

View Full Version : Filtration thoughts

archer772
08-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Well here I go and sorry if this gets long. I plan on setting up a 50 breeder with a 29 gallon sump/fuge and would like everybodies opinion. I plan for the first section to be used for filter media as in the bonded filter media then a layer of carbon and another layer of the bonded and have the water pass thru this then into the center section with anacharis to be used as a nutrient export not that there should be much nutrient in the water but I dont think it can hurt to have extra ways of exporting and then to the return section. I know in SW this works very well so I thought it would work well for FW. I was also planning to put some peat in the overflow in the display tank to aid in lowering the PH and tinting the water slightly. So am I way off base or would this work. Now let my training begin :D

Scott

bgbdwlf2500
08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
only suggestion would be to put some bio balls in the first section as well. the sump for one of my salt tanks is fed by an overflow (tank not drilled) and it flows into some filter media through carbon then drips onto bio balls. then it flows into the center section where the protein skimmer is then flows into the return section....i would love to run a sump on my discus tank but its just not possible. its not possible to have more filtration than a sump:)

jlspitler
09-01-2007, 07:58 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/jlspitler/RenFaire002.jpg
here is my sump. were the water comes in on the right side i don't have enough room to plant plants. my sump is only 20 gallons but i plan on upgrading soon. but i also have a carbon pad and tehn it drips down on teh bio-balls and get pumped back to teh main tank. only problem i am haveing is bubbles comming out of my pump and i am not quite sure how to fix that. but yes i loveteh way my sump works and as and added bonus like everyone else said you hide and you tuff down there and add water down there treatmenst of you have to and so forth. good luck.

bgbdwlf2500
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/jlspitler/RenFaire002.jpg
here is my sump. were the water comes in on the right side i don't have enough room to plant plants. my sump is only 20 gallons but i plan on upgrading soon. but i also have a carbon pad and tehn it drips down on teh bio-balls and get pumped back to teh main tank. only problem i am haveing is bubbles comming out of my pump and i am not quite sure how to fix that. but yes i loveteh way my sump works and as and added bonus like everyone else said you hide and you tuff down there and add water down there treatmenst of you have to and so forth. good luck.

you need to set up some baffles to stop the bubbles going to the return pump. will get a picture to show you.

bgbdwlf2500
09-01-2007, 01:04 PM
here is the picture of the sump from my salt tank.

jlspitler
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
i didn't mean to hijack the thread. but i am not quite sure on how i would fit that in my sump. i was told to put a sponge under teh bio-balls and it would stop teh bubbles also. or to some degree. so iw ill try that. but thanks for the heads up. plus i wanna do a bigger sump when we move. so i will beable to do that. i wanna do like a 55 gallon sump for my 75 gallon main tank. thanks again.

bgbdwlf2500
09-02-2007, 12:10 AM
i didn't mean to hijack the thread. but i am not quite sure on how i would fit that in my sump. i was told to put a sponge under teh bio-balls and it would stop teh bubbles also. or to some degree. so iw ill try that. but thanks for the heads up. plus i wanna do a bigger sump when we move. so i will beable to do that. i wanna do like a 55 gallon sump for my 75 gallon main tank. thanks again.

yep that will work too, just something to break the bubbles but you want to stop them completely, not to some degree:)

Polar_Bear
09-02-2007, 02:39 AM
I have a sump/refugium system on one of my tanks. So far it has been working extremely well. The refugium portion of the system is on reverse time as the main tank, so when the main tank's lights are on, the refugium's are off. There are photos of the system here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55679&highlight=Refugium it had just been set up when the photos were taken. It's basically the same configuration now, except I have since removed the CO2 injection.

jlspitler
09-02-2007, 08:10 AM
hey bear. you know anyone around here that sells that cut to size carbon pads for teh sumps. i can't find it anywere.

Polar_Bear
09-02-2007, 05:32 PM
hey bear. you know anyone around here that sells that cut to size carbon pads for teh sumps. i can't find it anywere.

http://www.jehmco.com/