PDA

View Full Version : Discus behavior

susantroy1
08-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey folks, I’m currently growing out 6 discus in a 55 gal. I have 4 ocean greens between 3 & 3.5” and two red turquoise which are 3.75” and my largest about 4.25” My question is after these guys got settled in and are being feed 6 times a day (I’ve had them for about a month now) I noticed on the flank of my 2nd to largest RT had an abrasion which I thought was from a piece of slate that was in the tank as I said “was” in the tank. I discovered today that a couple of other guys also had developed a few small abrasions as well. All I can think of as to which (who) is causing this is the largest RT. He seems to be really aggressive towards his “area” (directly in front and below the feeding area). I know that all of these guys at one time or another nip at one another but by far the pecking order has been determined. How is it that this species can sit quietly around the tank and not bother each other and then BAM! All bets are off. This behavior usually is at its worst before and directly after feeding time. But the others don’t seem to care because they flee about 6 Inches and return right back to “His Zone” I have provided plenty of hiding places so an escape route is not a problem for them. I have a feeling that he is the culprit because he is the only one that isn’t carrying any abrasions. Will this pass? And if not how have you guys worked this out? Or is there no solution? Thanks for such a great sight.

Troy

Ryan
08-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi Troy,

First, welcome to the world of discus :D You never know what each new day will bring. My fish, even at over a year old, are still really aggressive with each other at feeding time. I've never seen them actually injure each other, but they do get pretty nasty with the pecking and tail-slapping.

A few questions.

- Are there any other fish in the tank besides the discus?
- Have you ever seen them rubbing or scratching on anything?
- Do the fish eat well and are they active and alert?
- Can you show us some pictures of the fish and the abrasions if possible?

I'm not ruling out the possibility of the fish injuring each other, but I want to help you make sure that that's the true cause of the abrasions.

For what it's worth, sometimes you have a rogue discus like the one you describe. There are methods to mellowing them out. Sometimes removing the fish, rearranging the tank, and letting the tankmates settle without him for a while helps. Once you re-add the fish, the others may have established a new pecking order where he'll have to adjust.

Unfortunately, sometimes a rogue discus is always a rogue discus, and they don't mix well with others :(

Ryan

Upper Canada
08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I would agree with Ryan that at times some fish can be bullies, and it becomes annoying to me when i see one continuously bothering the others, leading to stress and potential problems as a result. Since I have a variety of tanks I put the subject fish in with some other big fish with which it becomes just another fish. If you see it continuing and have no other option I would suggest finding another home for it.

Bob

Apistomaster
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I expect a few scrapes to show up if for no other reason discus startle easily and if there is anything to crash into they will. The Slate pieces will result in a few scrapes but even in a bare tank they'll still find a way to get dinged up once in awhile.
These are usually minor and heal fast. Usually this is nothing to worry much about. It doesn't hurt to use the minimum of sharp edged objects in discus tanks but I use slates and spawning cones interchangeably
Discus do get into scrapes with each other so maybe most of it is just the nature of the beasties?

susantroy1
09-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks all for you replys, I'm like a new mother with these guys:) These are my first and won't be my last. I think its a combination of a couple of things... 1, pecking order 2, fish freak out every now and then ( my 4 yr old helps in this area):o 3, I have a algae eater that likes to hitch a ride every now and then:mad: (gotta try and get this guy outta there) I've noticed that a few older scuff marks are now gone only to be replaced by newer ones:(
Here is a pic of my tank http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd310/susantroy1/55g8-31.jpg

Troy

Ryan
09-01-2007, 11:58 PM
If the "scuff marks" are circular, my bet is that they're from the algae eaters. This is a common problem. You might try a different kind of algae eater, like bristlenose/bushynose plecos. They don't seem to bug the discus.

susantroy1
09-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey Rayn,

Yea, my smallest one has a few oval marks (seen those tonight):mad: I asked about how to capture this hickie maker, the best suggestion I got was a narrow throated vase and put some bloodworms into it and watch it until the culprit enters to eat it and then remove the vase (in theroy sounds good we will see). Don't really want to distroy my aquascape for one algae eater.

Troy

Ryan
09-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Hey Rayn,

Yea, my smallest one has a few oval marks (seen those tonight):mad: I asked about how to capture this hickie maker, the best suggestion I got was a narrow throated vase and put some bloodworms into it and watch it until the culprit enters to eat it and then remove the vase (in theroy sounds good we will see). Don't really want to distroy my aquascape for one algae eater.

Troy

That sounds about right. You can also put a piece of zucchini in the vase, which may coax him in. Just put your hand or a net over the end, then lift it out. It may take a few attempts to actually get him into the vase.

What kind of algae eaters are they?

susantroy1
09-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Ryan,

Here is my famous hickee giver, P.S free to a good home...
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd310/susantroy1/hickiegiver002.jpg

Thought it was a SAE but from what i've been reading this is a mutt version:mad:

Ryan
09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I had one like that a long time ago and he was very fast and very aggressive. I'd try to remove him if at all possible. I know it's going to be tough in a planted tank. They're good at getting away.

susantroy1
09-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Yea, I've got 3 others like this but none show the aggressiveness as this one. Also have a bristle nose but hardly see him at all. I'll let you know how it goes.

Troy