PDA

View Full Version : month old fry starting to die

tdr1919
09-05-2007, 12:42 AM
My fry are about 30 days free swimming, the day before yesterday I had a dead fish, and yesterday I had another dead fish. My water parameters are excellent, I do a 25% water change a day. I feed them BBS 5 to 6 times a day. They have been eating excellent, I added crushed flake and minced beefheart (very small amount) to supliment their diet.
I added cure ick, (malachite green & Formalin) today.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

littlezebra
09-05-2007, 05:09 AM
Tom,

It is normal if only 1 or 2 dead occasionally. You can reduce the amount of food to see whether they dead of eating too much.

Eric

Tropical Haven
09-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Tom,
As much as you are feeding them and only being 1 month old you need to up your water changes to 50 to 75% daily and you will notice that you aren't losing anymore fish. With the 25% you are doing is not enough for discus at that size.

billeagan
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
It could be gill flukes. I always treat my fry with prazi beginning at the two week mark and then once a month for the first 3 months after the initial treat ment.

Bill

tdr1919
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
It could be gill flukes. I always treat my fry with prazi beginning at the two week mark and then once a month for the first 3 months after the initial treat ment.

Bill
Bill,
I examined a specimen with a 10X loop and did not notice anything
abnormal with the fish, is the loop not appropriate for this kind of examination.

I did up the water changes, no DOA's today, they are all eating fine

Thanks,
Tom

Harriett
09-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I have zero experience, but I watch Larry's method--perhaps he'll chime in here: he feeds high quality food aggressively and does 2 very large water changes a day on his fry and the only ones he loses are those he culls--that will be my practice as well, if my guys would stop lunching on their eggs!
Harriett

Rod
09-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Bill
I agree with Bill, but would use triclorofon instead of prazi.

10x times isn't enough Eric.

Fry don't just drop dead for no reason ime.

Rod:)

pcsb23
09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
If you've scoped them and not found flukes I would suspect a protozoa as the cause. I have used acriflavin at 1cc per 50litres or 1cc per 12 US gallons to be effective. I know at least one person who uses copper with a great deal of success too.

CliffsDiscus
09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I do massive waterchanges everyday at least 100 percent, feeding with the beefheart
on the last feeding just before waterchange. Wipe down the sides and bottom, clean
the sponges if there are any.

Cliff

Peachtree Discus
09-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I would agree about the water changes. Up the % and that will probably solve the problem.

@50-75% once daily i was gradually losing 1 or 2 about every other day. @90-100% twice daily i did not lose any and had a great growth rate