PDA

View Full Version : Assistance or suggestions

dawncollette
09-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Hi fellow discus lovers, I bought a 300 gallon tank and plan on having it planted and set up for about a month or more prior to putting the discus in it. My question is what type of filtration should I use for a tank this size and should I use more than one. I like the cannister filters and plan on having a uv sterlizer on it as well. I've never owned such a large tank and want to make sure I get it right the first time. My boyfriend is an electrician and he is going to hang my lights for me from the ceiling. My tank will have a glass top on it but no fitted hood, thus the hanging lights. I am using sand for the bottom.....any advice is appreciated,
thanks,
dawn

Kindredspirit
09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Dawn, ( which is my real name btw:) )

Your tank sounds like a dream! 300 gallons? You must take pictures! I am not sure I can be much of a help with a planted tank...lol!....but I think you might wait a bit longer than one month? Just make sure all is cycled ~

Are your discus going to be adults or babies? Just so you know juvies do much better in a bare bottom tank due to the fact we feed so often during the course of one day ~

You are at the right place for your adventure, make no mistake about that! Keep this thread going and you can see your progress as you go along!

Good Luck!

dawncollette
09-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks so much, I am going to the fish convention today in San Antonio, I know I will be coming home with some discus. I hope to have the 300 gallon up and running this weekend, it is much more of a project than my 55 gallons.......I'll make sure it's cycled well before putting the discus in there, I have test kits and can monitor the cycling that way.
take care and thanks again,
dawn

dawncollette
09-08-2007, 11:56 AM
So you are a Dawn too??? NIce to meet you Dawn!!! :-)))

Genirous
09-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi dawncollette,
it is a dream tank indeed, you must be very excited (and lucky)!:D

You mentioned that your tank will have glass on it and also you will hang your lights from the ceiling...hmm Keep in mind that a crystal-clear glass cover will cut about 10% of your lamps output! Also if it gets dirty from the humidity of the evaporation, the amount of light loss will become much bigger reaching 35-45%...:(

I propose to think about the lighting issue, because you want planted tank and with this size..., the height of your tank will not be small...:o

Keep walking,
Giorgos!:D

johnm
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
yasou giorgios.

Genirous
09-12-2007, 03:14 AM
yasou giorgios.
Yasou johnm:thumbsup:,
been in Greece...?:sun: