PDA

View Full Version : discus are gasping as if out of water

reefroller2001
09-05-2007, 05:19 AM
i have a large tank it has two large orange discus and six small discus one of the small discus is staying at the bottom of the tank and seems to be gasping as if out of water i have had they for six weeks and all was going fine now tonight this happens. can anyone advise all my life i have wanted discus i couldn't bear to lose any now

Ardan
09-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Did you recently do a water change? If so , it could be the water. Maybe the city changed the additives?

Ardan

reefroller2001
09-05-2007, 06:18 AM
25% twice a week would some sort of filteration help i have two in tank but maybe they are not doing the job any ideas on the best system for discus and thank you so much for your reply

brewmaster15
09-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi , Is this a planted tank with C02 injection?

First thing to do would be to do a large water change... try 50% water change,, be sure to use a dechlorinator if this is city water...I'd use something that detoxes chloramines just in case... are you on municipal water?

can you add extra aeration?

-al

reefroller2001
09-05-2007, 07:32 AM
i use tank conditioners for chloramines and yes i am on municipal water i will be going shortly to buy extra aeration and i have been told a ro unit would help, thank you so much for replying

brewmaster15
09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi,
Definetly do a large water change, and contact your water company...sometimes they are working on the lines and when done have to sanitize them.. many people have run into this.. See if they have added anything recently.

hth,
al