PDA

View Full Version : Chester floating and breathing heavily

penglim
09-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I woke up today.. to find one of my discus (Chester) floating sideways and breathing heavily... The other 3 were fine... I thought it might have been a lack of oxygen so I turned on the light.. so that the plants will produce oxygen and not consume them. Chester swam down but looked very dazed... he was floating but was held down by some plants.. he did circles and I saw him release what seem to be throw-up from his mouth. But he continued to just float and looked dazed... All the other discuses left him alone. I added a little bit of salt in the water to maybe help him breath... could it be that he over ate? I feed them pellets last night... HELP.. I'm very concern... I had to go to work.. so I left him in the tank.. was that wise?

t_j
09-05-2007, 02:02 PM
It sounds like lack of oxygen. Try putting an air stone in there to give him extra air. When you turn off the lights at night you may think about turning on the air stone just at night and turning it off in the morning.

penglim
09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I have air stones in the tank at all times. I was still running when I saw him floating.

t_j
09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Do you know whats the reading in your tank??

Ryan
09-05-2007, 03:00 PM
If he is bloated, you can add some Epsom salt (this is different than aquarium/table/rock salt) to help with the blockage.

If it is not bloat, more information about your tank and your fish will help us better understand what might be happening.

- What size is your tank?
- How many fish (discus or otherwise) do you have?
- Have you added new fish recently?
- What is the water temperature?
- What is the pH?
- What are the readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
- When is the last time you changed water?
- What type of water do you have (well, city water, etc.) and do you treat it or age it before a water change?
- What types of filtration do you use on this tank?
- Is this tank planted/decorated or bare bottom?
- Do you inject CO2?

Ryan

penglim
09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
- What size is your tank?
35G Hex
- How many fish (discus or otherwise) do you have?
4 discus 8 baby mollies
- Have you added new fish recently?
I added the baby mollies about 2 weeks ago.
- What is the water temperature?
83.4F
- What is the pH?
- What are the readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. Nitrate is between 5 and 10
- When is the last time you changed water?
Changed water 2 days ago (25%)
- What type of water do you have (well, city water, etc.) and do you treat it or age it before a water change?
I use city water. I usually age about half of the water (5 gallon)
- What types of filtration do you use on this tank?
I have a fluidize bed powered by a power head with sponge attached to it.
- Is this tank planted/decorated or bare bottom?
Planted(~30) with crush corals and sand substrate
- Do you inject CO2?
No C02 injection.

penglim
09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
How do you know if it's a bloat issue?

t_j
09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
How do you know if it's a bloat issue?

The stomach will look big or swollen.

Ryan
09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
The fish will look bloated or swollen in the abdomen.

You mentioned that you fed them pellets. If the other fish in the tank are acting normally, I would guess it's not an emergency water issue like ammonia or chlorine/chloramine. If the fish was normal yesterday and eating well, chances are it didn't get extremely sick over night. The first thing I'd try is Epsom salt to see if it is bloat. Hopefully the fish passes the blockage and it relieves him.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to look more in-depth into your tank.

Here is a good thread by Carol about Epsom salt and its use:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=25743

penglim
09-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Where do you guys get the Epson salt? I tried two pet stores around my area and they don't carry it.

Ryan
09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Where do you guys get the Epson salt? I tried two pet stores around my area and they don't carry it.

A drug store like Walgreens or a place like Walmart. It's usually in the pharmacy section in Walmart.

johnm
09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
grocery store

penglim
09-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Sweet!!! Chester has lighten in color and is swimming normal now.. :)

Ryan
09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
:thumbsup:

Sounds like he was just a little bit bloated.