PDA

View Full Version : Narrowly missed disaster with heaters

tpl*co
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Noticing my 60 gallon's water has been a little warm lately. During it's water change a day and a half ago (during filling) I noticed the thermometer measured 35 celcius. First thought was my fill water was too hot, (though it didn't feel that much hotter than I normally put in), added even cooler water to get the temp back to normal.

This morning it was back up to 35 BEFORE my water change! Darn heaters were sticking!:mad: I know, I know there have been posts about how cr*ppy Stealth and Hydor glass heaters are (and I was tempting fate having BOTH on this tank!)

Luckily I had an Otto heater controller at hand that didn't have a chance to install, (with the absolute last 2-3 months from hell, having to do 69.5 hours of overtime in July due to a managerial oversite (didn't account for my project time in the timeline), then getting really bad tendinitus due to the overtime, going through occupational health, pain killers and 2 cortisone shots in August :(). It went on really fast this morning after a water change to cool the tank down. I set the controller to 82 but can't watch it since I had to go to work. It should be OK till this afternoon right? Hopefully my fish will be OK after all of this :(.

Tina

bgbdwlf2500
09-07-2007, 12:14 PM
as long as the fish were alive when you stopped the heater they should be fine. i had my tank get up to 98 one time and they were fine.

Polar_Bear
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
When I first started to read this thread my thought was "get an Otto Controller", which happily I see you have. It should be entirely fine Tina, I'm sure you'll come back to water very near 82F once you get home.

It's ironic that Hydor IMO makes the very worst and the very best heaters, I have had so many problems with the glass piece of Hydor junk that I threw it away. However, as you already know, I find the Hydor ETH models to be the best heaters I have ever owned (and I have owned just about all of them).

tpl*co
09-07-2007, 09:46 PM
When I first started to read this thread my thought was "get an Otto Controller", which happily I see you have. It should be entirely fine Tina, I'm sure you'll come back to water very near 82F once you get home.

It's ironic that Hydor IMO makes the very worst and the very best heaters, I have had so many problems with the glass piece of Hydor junk that I threw it away. However, as you already know, I find the Hydor ETH models to be the best heaters I have ever owned (and I have owned just about all of them).

Well you were right Larry, it was dead on where I set it this morning. Somehow my fish are looking happier too narrowly missing becoming fish soup.

Tina