PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeding behaviour?

FairyDiscus
09-15-2007, 09:38 AM
My two Discus are both 4.5" and have recently been shaking to each other and swimming side by side with their fins erect. One of the Discus is locking his lips against the glass for some reason and briefly pecking at the filter inlet. Whats happening with my Discus?

oshp132
09-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Congrats on your pair! The head shaking is a great sign....And them cleaning filter tubes, etc. is also a great sign....Now, just sit back and see what happens.
MIKE

FairyDiscus
09-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. Are they too young to be doing this though?
What are the chances of having healthy fry from young discus?

kaceyo
09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Well, if they were too young to be doing it, they wouldn't be doing it. ;) You give their size but don't say how old they are, so...? Discus often start mating behavior before they are mature enough to produce viable eggs, especially the male. It's usually the female that will mature first and start to clean a site to lay eggs as yours is doing. Keep an eye on them, be patient and enjoy the show.

Kacey

FairyDiscus
09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I am not sure how old they are but they look a little behind on growth. Thanks for your help:)

diamond_discus
09-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Buy a breeding cone .. put them in a breeding tank. Let give learn a few times and eventually you will get some frys. Good luck