PDA

View Full Version : Where Has YOUR Discus Landed?

Kindredspirit
09-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Guys ~ I owe this idea to Mike ~ I am always looking for new thread ideas:)

So ~ where have you dropped, plopped, flew, tossed, your wet pet?

I had my Golden Albino in a net once, when he was little, ( and alive ), I was going to the bucket, as my tank had cracked; he flew or jumped out of that net and over into the corner!

I thought he was dead I did ~ he was in a Raja ball of fur, I scooped him up, cleaned him off and saying all the time " Omg, Omg, I killed him!" ( but, later on I did that one ) but I did learn to cover my hand over that F* net!

He was okay though ~ I wonder if Paul remembers that one!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_222.gif ( couldn't resist, I love Halloween! )

April
09-17-2007, 12:17 PM
well...it wasnt a discus..but a swordtail. i unbagged a whole bag full..and into the tank. went back to work..later..a few hours later...my employee looks at her pup in an exercise pen near the aquariums..and theres a swordtail swimming in her dogs water bowl. now what are the chances..it either jumped out of the tank..or out of the net and landed in the water bowl. anywhere else..we wouldve found a dried up fishy. it wasnt his time. the dog..mustve thought..is this a water flavourer?

steve.ryall
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
A few years ago I used to keep those little freshwater crabs, I had 3 at the time, as well as a raging snail problem!!http://forum.bidka.org/images/smilies/squiggy1.gif

Ok, here is the dumb bit, wanting to get rid of the snails, I went to my lfs and got some snail killer (or so they said!!!), got home and gave the tank a good strong dose.
Next morning I was looking in the tank for snails, which were still abundant, and noticed that there were no crabs in the tank, I looked on top of the pump, which was their normal place to hide, under the bogwood.....nope! no crabs!! As my search widened, I eventually found one near my front door, next I found one under the sofa, and another one in the kitchen. Needless to say, they were former crabs......dead as a Dodo, and as crispy as a stale pretzel!!
I had forgotten that snails and crabs were both crustaceans, so I guess they packed their bags and walked out trying to find a new home.http://forum.bidka.org/images/smilies/doh1.gif

I don't keep crabs any more......http://forum.bidka.org/images/smilies/wink1.gif

Steve

Tropical Haven
09-17-2007, 10:42 PM
I have gone to my tanks in the morning to feed them and have noticed, hey where is one of my discus. Sometime during the night it leaped out of the tank and wedged itself between the tank stand and the wall and it was hard as a rock. :(

Kindredspirit
09-17-2007, 11:06 PM
..it either jumped out of the tank..or out of the net and landed in the water bowl. anywhere else..we wouldve found a dried up fishy. it wasnt his time. the dog..mustve thought..is this a water flavourer?

Now what are the chances if that ever happening again, April? You never saw it jump? wow!

they packed their bags and walked out trying to find a new home.http://forum.bidka.org/images/smilies/doh1.gif

I don't keep crabs any more......http://forum.bidka.org/images/smilies/wink1.gif

Steve

LOL! Steve, they could have walked right on to your pillow! I had some Gobies like PS just up and leave! Never did find them!

I have gone to my tanks in the morning to feed them and have noticed, hey where is one of my discus. Sometime during the night it leaped out of the tank and wedged itself between the tank stand and the wall and it was hard as a rock. :(

That is so sad, Scott! I would not be very happy about that ~

CliffsDiscus
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
It landed in someone coffee cup, other times these jumpers will end up in one of my bottom
tanks.

Cliff

dvarnay
09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
The fish in question was a large silver shark I had to move him to another tank as he was picking on some of the smaller fish and next morning all I found was the glass top of the fish tank ajar (an escape attemp) and a fish tail on the floor. One of my dogs obviously had a fishy snack overnight.

Debbie

Kindredspirit
09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
It landed in someone coffee cup, other times these jumpers will end up in one of my bottom
tanks.

Cliff

Cliff you actually saw it land in the coffee cup? Did it survive? I want to know why they jump?

The fish in question was a large silver shark I had to move him to another tank as he was picking on some of the smaller fish and next morning all I found was the glass top of the fish tank ajar (an escape attemp) and a fish tail on the floor. One of my dogs obviously had a fishy snack overnight.

Debbie

He ate him, Debbie? aww....:(

dvarnay
09-19-2007, 05:10 AM
[He ate him, Debbie? aww....:([/QUOTE]

Well even dogs need omega 3. I just hope the fish had already passed on before the dog found him.

Debbie

Kindredspirit
09-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Lets hope so! But if he was floppin around, that would make Raja, our Annoying One, really eat him!

standoyo
09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
The most recent incident involved one of Jeff's [fishtradezone] one friday night.

We went to visit Jeff late one day and he remarked about a smell and quickly discovered a big semi dry discus.

Come monday morning and we decided to photograph his fishes we found his prized Albino Pearl Golden missing. Could literally see Jeff's face pale and cuss as the thought of checking which was the actual dead fishes did not come to his mind on that Friday night! Bummer! All Jeff could do was shake his head and say it happens in this business, we get used to it. :(

Kindredspirit
09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Semi-dry? aww...that is horrible!

tdr1919
09-25-2007, 06:46 PM
This was when I was just out of HS, I had a 55gal with two huge Tiger Oscars in it with no top on the tank because they used to jump up out of the tank and grab their food, they also played soccer with a fishing bobbin, so a hood was in the way.
One day I came home from work and one of them was missing.
he jumped out behind and underneath the bureau. I pulled the drawers out and had to punch a hole through the wood to get to him. I though for sure he was dead no telling how long he was under there, totally covered with dust bunnies and carpet fuzz.
He wasnt even moving, I brought him into the bathroom, rinsed him off in the sink and threw him back in the tank, laying on the bottom on his side, half hour later he was looking to get fed.
Oscars are tough!

Great thread Marie! LOL!

Tom

Kindredspirit
09-25-2007, 08:34 PM
That is awesome, Tom! I am so glad he made it! I had that happen to Buzz, my Bumble Bee Goby...they are very teensy and he was in the corner, in dust bunnies, all dried up....rinsed him off and put him back and he lives!! lol!

GrillMaster
09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Well.....I had a pretty athletic sae! Pure yellow. He hopped outta the tank one night and my wife almost stepped on it! She yells out..."one of yer dang fish jus jumped outta yer tank." Just kiddin! :D Scottish women dont really talk that way. It was more like "Rrrrite yew, git yer bloody fish off my living room floor."

Dont know how long it had been layin there, but with further inspection, he/she looked to have been there for quite sometime...

Just grabbed em with my BBQ tongs an tossed em right back in.

That was about 2 months ago. He has made an awsome comeback!!! The only thing that is still yellow is his head. The rest of em is black :crazy:

This is a very true story!! Cept for the BBQ tongs...Maybe the way my wife talks. :D ;)

tc
Mark

Kindredspirit
09-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Mark! How the hell are ya? That is a funny story! Thanks for sharing and I am glad he is okay:)

GrillMaster
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Mark! How the hell are ya? That is a funny story! Thanks for sharing and I am glad he is okay:)

Doin ok Marie! How the hell are U?...

I had a congo tetra make the same leap of faith! Problem is no one was around...

Cant complain a whole lot though. Havin an open top tank for the last year, I have only lost the one! teach em to jump outta the tank when I aint around!! :D

They haven't tried it since...;)

tc
Mark

Kindredspirit
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Mark, why is your tank open up top? Why do people do that? Is there a specific reason?

GrillMaster
09-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I dont know of any advantage to it at all. Steve (Scolly) wold know better than I would Marie. :)

I like the way my sword plants grow outta the tank, an I dunno, it just has a natural look to it. Lot eaisier to feed the fish! I can pitch in a few cubes of bloodworm from 20 ft away :) ;)

tc
Mark

Kindredspirit
09-30-2007, 02:47 AM
This is true! You can certainly justify it, that's for sure:) You are not afraid of things....like ~ leaving?

GrillMaster
10-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I pretty much leave em every day. I think the SAE explained to the rest of em that the grass aint greener on the other side!! ;)

Keep in mind the inhabitants of this tank are Scalare, congo tetras, clowns, an black neons.

I dont think I would have this type of tank with discus. Well I might till one of them jumped out!

tc
Mark

Harriett
11-21-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a good sized RT that was in a breeder 40 with his sweetie. I was doing a water change and everything was fine. I walked away from the tank and whenI returned a moment later I must of scared the crap out of him because he took off like a jet out of the tank. He landed in a corner behind some stuff but was easy to catch...ok, so I picked the cat hair off of him and dumped him back into the tank, thinking we were all done here....He immediately became airborne again and this time went behind the tank and under the tank stand--it took about a minute or more to move the unit to the side [Thank God for Adrenalin---I am amazed I could move it}. I got himagain, cleaned him off very quickly, and into the tank with the lid right behind him. He was completely fine, and remains so to this day.

ONe more: One night I was 'tucking in' the fish before I did lights out completely...so there was a low light still going. I had thrown on a black sweatshirt and of course when I walked up to the tank the discus freaked out completeyl and went slamming all over the place. I heard that splashing sound we hate to hear that tells us someone has 'launched' but the 'smack' noise when they hit never came.....now the back of this tank is right against a radiator in my old house so my nightmare was that he got hung up inthe radiator ribs and I wouldn't get to him. I looked all around in the radiator, on the floor, under the radiator....no fish. I recounted the fish..one 5" discus was definitely missing. I rechecked all the places I just said...no discus. I was absolutely panicking by this time. Gone into thin air?...I recounted..you get it. For the last time I stuck my head behind the tank to do my final glance through the possibilities and there, on the actual rim of the tank was my discus...calmly laying on his side, perfectly balanced, just laying still. I pushed him back into the tank with one finger and away he sawm, perfectly fine. I still can't believe this one happened.
Best regards,
Harriett

Dolphin Dip
11-21-2007, 05:20 PM
This was when I was just out of HS, I had a 55gal with two huge Tiger Oscars in it with no top on the tank because they used to jump up out of the tank and grab their food, they also played soccer with a fishing bobbin, so a hood was in the way.
One day I came home from work and one of them was missing.
he jumped out behind and underneath the bureau. I pulled the drawers out and had to punch a hole through the wood to get to him. I though for sure he was dead no telling how long he was under there, totally covered with dust bunnies and carpet fuzz.
He wasnt even moving, I brought him into the bathroom, rinsed him off in the sink and threw him back in the tank, laying on the bottom on his side, half hour later he was looking to get fed.
Oscars are tough!

Great thread Marie! LOL!

Tom

at work we find a koi on the floor almost everyday. and it almost never fails, about two minutes after being put back into water, they're trying to swim with the big boys.

Kindredspirit
11-21-2007, 08:19 PM
at work we find a koi on the floor almost everyday.

aww...poor thing! Thanks for sharing!

Harriett! What a story! I loved reading it! You actually saw him fly out of the tank?

cschwaderer
11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Strange the timing on this - just last week - in the morning I hear a splash in the fish room, look over, and see the water churning in one of the pair tanks. I think nothing of it because it's completely covered. I go to feed the pair in the tank next to that one and there is only 1 fish! The female is missing! I'm looking on the floor, the lower tier of tanks, the back wall, all over the room and find absolutely nothing. At this point I'm convinced one of the cats found it and I will probably find it two weeks from now under my pillow or something (yuck!).

So, after giving up, I raise the cover on the next tank over and hear and feel a flopping of something - that fish had jumped out of the tank and a full 6 inches over to the top of the next tank! That evidently scared that pair which was the water churning I saw when I turned around!

I quickly put her back in her pair tank - she's breathing rapidly and if you've ever seen a stressed blue diamond - they get blotchy silver like someone has taken their thumb and rubbed the blue off in places! Of course the juveniles climb right back onto her not caring that mom just had a near death experience!

About 20 minutes later she was fine and showed no signs of stress. She does however, swim to the top of the tank MUCH more slowly now!:)

Darrell Ward
11-23-2007, 01:01 AM
I've been fortunate not to have had any Discus on the floor, but a little over a month ago, I sold a guy from a nearby town my 2' Silver Arowana. We removed the tops from the tank, and as soon as the fish saw the net, it jumped from the tank in a blink of an eye, traveled a good 6', slammed into the wall, and fell to the floor. I said, " That was easy, I was worried about catching it". With a towel, the fish was picked up and placed in the cooler. I was a little worried the fish might be injured, but the guy sent me an email the next day saying it was fine, enjoying it's new 600 gallon home. :)

Kindredspirit
11-23-2007, 07:51 AM
She does however, swim to the top of the tank MUCH more slowly now!:)

I am glad she is okay! Thanks for sharing.:)

I was a little worried the fish might be injured, but the guy sent me an email the next day saying it was fine, enjoying it's new 600 gallon home. :)

I have heard that Arowanas are jumpers! At least he survived to enjoy his 600 gal tank! I would love to see a picture of that tank....;)

95SoCalStang
11-25-2007, 05:07 PM
My best is a 14 inch Jardini Aro...I was taking him home from the LFS in a large 5 gallon bucket...He decided it would be funny to jump out of the bucket at 75mph on the freeway...Ever tried to handle a fish while driving? I can say I have....

Hans Kloss
11-25-2007, 07:31 PM
[B]So ~ where have you dropped, plopped, flew, tossed, your wet pet?

Once upon a time I've found my discus in tank downward, swimming in pure RO water of 20C. He jumped from the tank covered with PVC plate probably using 1 inch space between cover and tank wall. Fish is still alive and doing well.
Hans

Robye
11-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi Folk, Never had a disc jump out, but recently lost a peacock eel that jumped out one night and was found crunchy on the floor the next morn. I've heard that they (peacock) are great escape artist!!:confused:(

Kindredspirit
11-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Once upon a time I've found my discus in tank downward, swimming in pure RO water of 20C. He jumped from the tank covered with PVC plate probably using 1 inch space between cover and tank wall. Fish is still alive and doing well.
Hans

Pure RO water is a bad thing, yes? I am glad he is okay!

recently lost a peacock eel that jumped out one night and was found crunchy on the floor the next morn. I've heard that they (peacock) are great escape artist!!:confused:(

So he was dead? How big was he? Poor thing! Do you still keep them? Got a picture?

I know. I am demanding:D

Hans Kloss
11-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Pure RO water is a bad thing, yes? I am glad he is okay!

Pure RO is not a real problem for discus, but rapid temperature decrease from 32 to 20 should be deadly. And I'm still wondering how it was possible to jump from covered tank rebounding from the wall and landing in tank below. In addition in those evening I forgot to cover my RO tank...it was a miracle for sure.
Hans

Kindredspirit
12-01-2007, 07:06 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_9_78.gif