PDA

View Full Version : My Discus just laid eggs!!!

FairyDiscus
09-17-2007, 01:38 PM
My female Discus just laid eggs at the bottom of the tank and she has eaten a few. The male looks like he is trying to fertilise them but he also has eaten some but not all of them. This is their first attempt so i hope i will get some wrigglers one day!:D

Tropical Haven
09-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I hope you get wigglers out of it as well, for their first spawning the chances of a successful spawn is low but not impossible, good luck with them and keep us posted.

FishyMatty
09-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm actually in the beginning of my first spawn as well. What is the gestation period for the eggs?

Tropical Haven
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
2 days for wigglers and 5 days for free swimmers

kaceyo
09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
The eggs usually hatch into wrigglers the 3rd say after laying and go to freeswimming 3 days after that. I have had it take less time but never more. Also the warmer the water the faster the process moves along.

Kacey

FishyMatty
09-17-2007, 02:39 PM
My water is about 84°, should I raise it?

Tropical Haven
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
84° isn't bad but I usually keep my at 86 just because they will hatch quicker which means less time for fungusing and after they become free swimming this will also keep their metabolism high to grow faster because of an enormous appetite. :D

FairyDiscus
09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Bad news, after the male fertilised them the female decided to eat them all. :mad:

diamond_discus
09-18-2007, 12:18 AM
let them have a few more try and eventually they will get it. Put them in a breeding tank now and set a breeding cone at a corner, opposite from your sponge filter.

doc3toes
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Keep it up! eventually you'll get it. Clean water, warm 86F, good food, small tank 29g, sponge filter - thats what worked for me. i am about 3 months ahead of you. I am feeding my first real spawn and they are doing great @ 19 days post hatch, they are eating crushed flake, BBS and whatever else i throw in there. they are getting close to 1". keep us posted

Kindredspirit
09-22-2007, 09:10 AM
2 days for wigglers and 5 days for free swimmers

Some good info, Scott:)

The eggs usually hatch into wrigglers the 3rd say after laying and go to freeswimming 3 days after that. I have had it take less time but never more. Also the warmer the water the faster the process moves along.

Kacey

Only three days, Kacey? Then three more and they are off and running.....well, swimming...? So if one can just prevent them from getting eaten for three days after they are laid,....sure sounds easy enough...doesn't it? lol! But in reality, there is nothing that can be done?

84° isn't bad but I usually keep my at 86 just because they will hatch quicker which means less time for fungusing and after they become free swimming this will also keep their metabolism high to grow faster because of an enormous appetite. :D

So Scott, before the three days hit, they can fungus, if not fertilized?

Kacey, Scott ~ thanks for some very simple clarification:)

Fairydiscus ~ mine were eaten as well ~ by papa:(