PDA

View Full Version : seperating fry from parents

discusrule
09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
hello, I have been blessed with a small spawn of fry which is 6 days attached and growing. this is their 7th time, female is a red scarlet and he is farily good lookin pb.anyway my intention is to remove parents to a 29 breeder thats set up,but what is the best way of removeing without hurting fry. if I bump the fry with net . have handled angel fry before. are discus fry at this age about as tuff, so to speak. just v nervous., would like some info. if possible, thanks

kaceyo
09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Is there a reason your removing the parents at this time? I'd leave them together till they are at least 2 weeks,especially if this is your first attempt at raising discus.

Kacey

discusrule
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
no not now , but was told to do it before or about 10 days

Tropical Haven
09-18-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't understand why 10 days is a limit? You can keep the babies with the parents for quite some time. I have seen them with the parents up till 4 to 6 weeks so I don't understand why you are rushing them away from the parents. With you being new to breeding let them stay with the parents until it looks like the parents are getting bothered by them then you can remove them.

discusrule
09-19-2007, 09:08 AM
no problem, will back off so far the parents are doing their thing quit well. just didnt want to lose due to me not doing the right thing at the wrong time. thanks for the input

AADiscus
09-19-2007, 03:47 PM
If you are new to breeding then I would leave the fry with the parents as long as you can. If the parents start fighting then I would pull the female and let your male finish raising them. At 2 weeks they should be starting to eat other food besides the parents and bbs.

Rod
09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
It sounds to me like you have previous experience with fry, i see no reason you cannot take them at day 10 if you are already a successful baby raiser. Handling discus and angels is quite similar, well i handle all sth american cichlid fry like discus fry which is to say good water and good food and find it works for me. Taking fry early has many advantages including quicker breed time for the pair, and lower incidence of parasite transfer to the young. At 4 to 6 weeks of age my fry are 25 to 40mm standard length. Can you imagine 100 of those in a 29gal tank......and with 2 adult discus?? ( i picked 100 because that is an average spawn size....i shudder at the thought of 200+ fry) water quality would be extremely difficult to maintain while feeding adequate quantities of food. By 4 weeks i would have 100 fry divided over 3 50 gallon tanks.

JMT

Rod :)

discusrule
09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
thanks rod, great info. i guess I just didn't ask the right way. anyway still doing great. cheers to everybody !! thanks again