PDA

View Full Version : Water softened with sodium

woodenfish
09-19-2007, 01:50 AM
What is good and not so good about ordinary softened water from ordinary household water softener using sodium or potassium to recharge the resin?

The ph does not change much I suppose.

Hans Kloss
09-19-2007, 03:54 AM
What is good and not so good about ordinary softened water from ordinary household water softener using sodium or potassium to recharge the resin?
The ph does not change much I suppose.

pH should raise for about 0.2-0.5, microelements (Fe, Mn, etc) will be totally removed, also conductivity will raise. Water after softening by sodium recharged resin should be IMO slightly better for discus, specially after pH lowering, but still not suitable for breeding.
Hans

korbi_doc
09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
pH should raise for about 0.2-0.5, microelements (Fe, Mn, etc) will be totally removed, also conductivity will raise. Water after softening by sodium recharged resin should be IMO slightly better for discus, specially after pH lowering, but still not suitable for breeding.
Hans

Mind you, this is JME....when I was in NJ, had well water that was extremely acid & hard, (enough to wear away the inside walls of the copper pipes, so thin they began to rupture), had a water softener with sodium which helped us but was NOT good for the fish...my TDS was >900ppms & the fish did not do well, had all sorts of problems until I installed the R/O & used this 100%.....then reconstituted with Joe S. recipe....after this never had a problem again...wish I had the well here in Tn, now have to pay for H2O, lol.......again, JME.....Dottie ;)

fishmama
09-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi Woodenfish!

Try doing a Search using "household water softener" and you will be able to pull up several threads discussing this issue. There are a variety of different opinions and experiences.

Click on "Search" located at the top in the blue next to New Posts and Quick Links.