PDA

View Full Version : wanted Images...Albino Fry...

brewmaster15
09-19-2007, 06:26 PM
HI all,
I am very interested in seeing albino fry from the day 1 free swimming to day 30 range.. if anyone has bred albinos, please post those pics here...

Thanks,
al

brewmaster15
09-20-2007, 01:36 PM
anyone?

kaceyo
09-20-2007, 05:14 PM
You think you may have some albino's mixed into one of your spawns Al?

Kacey

brewmaster15
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes Kacey,

I picked up alenquer albino intermediates from Kenny's last shipment...the Forrest ones.. and one of the pairs has fry... Its early.. they are only 4 days free swimming but I noticed about 20 out of 100 fry were "white" compared the the dark alenquers.... Some of these didn't make it..currently theres about 10 "white" and 80 normal.... doing very well now..so fingers crossed..:)

Never raised albino discus though...so want to see some examples.. The eyes look "darker" than I would have thought for albinos.

-al

Rod
09-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Well done Al.

I've never seen such small albino babies....yet! But bigger ones the eyes never look bright red anyway, more a dark maroon. It's the camera which makes the eyes look red or pink i think.

Darren's Discus
09-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Al,
great pics,mate it will be interesting to see their progress !

cheers

kaceyo
09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Thats got to be pretty exciting for you. The seeds of your new line. Good luck with'em.

Kacey

brewmaster15
09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Guys I am thrilled.... but cautiously so.. I ony have about 10 albinos...though the alenquer wild type are beautiful enough for me.. These albinos were a royal pain.. had to drop the water level till the pair was practically on their sides.. and remove the sponge for the last 3 days to get them to stay attached... anytime I raised the water They just wanted...to swim around....

..So far so good... fingers crossed...they go on live BBS today.

-al

Kindredspirit
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Al ~ not to change the subject but...whatever happened to all those discus fry or was it angel fry, that you had raised by an angel pair?

Or ~ am I way off here? The other way around? That was a great thread:)

brewmaster15
09-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi Marie,

The angel fry that were raised by discus are part of the reason I have so many angels..:)

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59418

They all developed normally ...:D:D:D:D

-al

kaceyo
09-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Thats great that you were able to keep them attached the way you did. I have a female that if I raise the water level till she can get under the fry, she'll get obsessive about catching them and spitting them into the corner and won't let them attach.

Kacey

Wahter
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Al,

I think these fry might be too old for what you're looking to compare. I took these photos when I visited Chai's discus in Singapore. If you want, I can zoom in on the fry and post a closer pic.

Walter

Wahter
09-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, I'll just go ahead and post the closer up photos. :)

Hope these help.

Walter

April
09-21-2007, 12:59 AM
good going brew..you did well with my alenquers..lol. well im glad you got them . they went to the best person.they are very nice lookinng fish. id say for sure they are albinos. congrats. keep them alive. that didnt take long to get them going.

Ryan
09-21-2007, 01:31 AM
:thumbsup:

Al, you may want to keep an eye on them. If the others appear to be outgrowing them, you may want to separate them. I've had this problem with other types of albino fry.

Now, are discus like kribensis in the sense that you can have fish that are totally albino (no black pigment with pink eyes) and fish that have albino characteristics, but with a dark pupil? After growing out my kribs I found that I had 3 types: normal pigmentation, albino (lacking most color) with black pupils, and pure albino with red or pink eyes. Those were the slowest growers out of the entire bunch and most didn't do well. Or course, I didn't separate them and give them extra attention.

Keep us posted.

Ryan

Darren's Discus
09-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Walter,
nice pics and beautiful fish thank's for sharing them with us !

cheers

SriAngel
09-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Al,

Hopefully I will be adding some Albino White Eruption fry pictures up. I am considering raising the albino fry artificially to increase survival rate, have u considered this?

brewmaster15
09-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Angel,

I have thought about it, but I really wanted to see how these would fare parent raised...... I think if I had albino parents I would go artificial... or use a foster parent pair.

Hard to tell at this point the remaining albinos are still doing well and are eating and growing like the wild type.

time will tell!

-al

Green Country Discus
09-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Sweet my friend! Keep us posted on these guys.

Elite Aquaria
09-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Al,

Fantastic...I can't wait to see them grow up...Great job!!! I need some Albinos ;)

Dan

forrest
09-22-2007, 12:31 PM
hi al,
congrats to ur success in new venture of breeding albino.
im now having a brood of albino turq n the fries r not free swim yet,hope they will be doing good n once the fishes attach to the foster parents,i ll take some pic n post here.

best regards,
forrest.

mandisc
09-22-2007, 02:32 PM
congrats al,
well done , those frys are definitely albinos. good luck and take special care of them. they will surprise your down the road.

forrest
09-23-2007, 12:51 AM
hi al n all,
i just found that the juv of the albino just free swim n attach to the body of the foster parent this morning,here r some pic that i took this morning.

rgds,
forrest.

forrest
09-23-2007, 01:01 AM
another slight bigger brood,i ve found that it is very difficult to take pic of the young fishes,my apologies for the lousy photo taking skill.

rgds,
forrest.

brewmaster15
09-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Awesome Forrest! Maybe I should pre-order with Kenny now;):)

Thanks all for the comments !
-al

Spid
09-23-2007, 10:40 PM
hi al n all,
i just found that the juv of the albino just free swim n attach to the body of the foster parent this morning,here r some pic that i took this morning.

rgds,
forrest.

Hi Forrest,

It seems like you have done a great job in allowing the fries to be found and stick to their parents.:thumbsup:

forrest
09-24-2007, 08:12 AM
hi spid,
i ve to thank u guys(whoever breeding albino) in singapore on sharing experiance of breeding n raising with me.i know nothing about breeding albino b4 this n i ve learn a lot from u guys,im appreciate it.

rgds,
forrest.

mandisc
09-24-2007, 02:30 PM
well done forrest,
now i know why you're so busy after midnight. hehe

forrest
09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
hi al,
some update pic for u after 2 days of juv attaching to the foster parent,it seems like the juv albino has grown a lot n the color changed to whiter color.

rgds,
forrest.

brewmaster15
09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
HI Forrest,
Thanks for the update...They are doing great so far for you@!:)

Mine are doing well also.. haven't lost any since my last post...and they are growing at about the same rate as the wild type.

heres a couple quick pics...

-al

Kenny's Discus
09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow Al, that's some really neat piece of work there! No wonder you are the master and you play the fish market lol!:) They really look great! I agree with Mandisc they'll be very nice stock to be used in your breeding program down the road. Congrats Al and keep us posted!

Forrest, you have beautiful pics of frys w/parents!

Kenny

forrest
10-01-2007, 02:53 AM
haha kenny,
finally u r back in the forum.i tot u were MIA.cheers.

rgds,
forrest.

CARY_GLdiscus
10-02-2007, 02:52 PM
looking good brew well done!

SriAngel
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey AL,

Never thought i'd be posting here so soon. My Red cover (san Merah) X Red white cross produced one albino, amongst 120 in the batch. I had a sinking suspicion that this was an albino but could not confirm till 30 days free swimming. The main problem i think was that i was trying to find albino fry by shining a flashlight to check the eyes. Unfortunately its very difficult to assess eyes till they are around a month old. However i was ignoring the glaring albinism staring right at me, no melanin at all, plus the fish was obviously different from all the other fish. You could pick it out from the crowd standing 2 feet away from the tank. The fish is much smaller and looks like a 2 week old compared to the rest of the bunch, looks like it didn't benefit from hybrid vigor. At the present age there is a glaring difference between it and the white based regular fry. It looks like a little milk drop, as opposed to the pigeon based white fry who have a little pigmentation going on. I have pics attached, but i dont have a fancy macro lens, this was the best i could pull off.