PDA

View Full Version : When to Cull Fry?

doc3toes
09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey all. Now that i have more than 2 fry i am willing to cull. I have 5-10/100 fry that definately have troubles swimming properly. looks like their swim bladders dont work as they seem to need to swim constantly to prevent sinking. when they feed they point up instead of picking food laterally out of the water column. they do not appear to have any outward physical defect, but i'm wondering if these are the ones that turn into 'sliders' that people talk about. I can also notice a size difference in them now (1/2 the size). So, should i cull them now or can they improve? -oh yeah, they are 19 days post hatch, eating BBS, crushed flake and pellet.

Tropical Haven
09-20-2007, 11:11 PM
If you are seeing defects with them now then it is time to cull.

Berdel
09-21-2007, 02:45 AM
looks like their swim bladders dont work as they seem to need to swim constantly to prevent sinking. when they feed they point up instead of picking food laterally out of the water column. they do not appear to have any outward physical defect, but i'm wondering if these are the ones that turn into 'sliders' that people talk about. I can also notice a size difference in them now (1/2 the size).

I have had ALOT of fry with that efffect in my current batch. Does anyone know if this defect is caused or if it can be prevented?

kaceyo
09-21-2007, 08:49 AM
You'll get some of those in every batch. I don'y know of anything you can do to avoid them.

Kindredspirit
09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Kacey ~ would they grow to adult if not culled? So this is not uncommon to see this in fry?

kaceyo
09-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Marie,
No, they are deformed and/or under developed and wouldn't be able to keep up with their tankmates. I think the problem would keep getting worse untill the eventually died, tho I don't know of anyone thats tried to raise them.

Kacey

Kindredspirit
09-22-2007, 08:51 AM
So it is quite obvious when looking at the fry? Actually, just read the answer to that one...

Interesting....

Thanks, Kacey!:)