PDA

View Full Version : Egg bound female what can be done?

tdr1919
09-25-2007, 11:43 PM
My buddy JT has a female that is egg bound, what can be done to help her?
Thanks,

Tom

tonymaccs
09-25-2007, 11:44 PM
How do you know it is egg bound?

tdr1919
09-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Tony,
He's breed alot of discus over the years, and his opinion is that the female is egg bound, I have not seen the fish.

Tom

Kindredspirit
09-26-2007, 12:18 AM
I was wondering the same thing:confused: How does he know? He has bred "over the years" and has never seen this before? Ask him Tom....I am curious! lol!

tbrat
09-26-2007, 01:01 AM
I too was wondering if discus can get eggbound or not? Kinda think I have the same issue at hand right now. I have a "pair" that started to lay eggs the other nite in a community tank and her other half was being so darn mean to the other I fish, I took some advice and placed a divider in the tank between the pair and other fish to stop the aggression.
Didn't work too well. The male just got really mean with the female wouldn't stop attacking her and the area of her tube. Eventually she stopped laying. Her tube is still out some and she don't move from back of the tank and hasn't ate since then...divider still in place but only her on one side of it. Extremely worried about her wondering if she could egg bound and if, like birds, will it kill her or is there a way to do something about it??
Did not mean to hijack a thread...but curious as well...thanks.

brewmaster15
09-26-2007, 03:46 AM
This discussion has come up before and some feel that Discus never get egg bound... not sure why that is ,as the condition happens with many egg layers... but

I believe they can and I have dissected ones that I thought had been..What I saw makes me think it does happen, fwiw. In all cases that I saw ,the only way I can say "for sure" that you can tell a female is egg bound verses just bloated..is the egg tube is down in the blocked case and often very swollen. It makes me think that this a likely condition resulting from an infection in the ovary or tube.

Tom, I'm afraid theres not much that can be done..I tried massive amounts of epsom salt and it did not help... the only time I had success was using antibiotics.... no proof that it was an egg bound female though as I didn't disssect.

hth,
al

Kindredspirit
09-26-2007, 08:17 AM
I learn something new every day, Tom:) Tell your friend and have him join Simply while you are at it ~

I hope that his discus is not egg bound and will be okay!

tdr1919
09-26-2007, 08:45 AM
I learn something new every day, Tom:) Tell your friend and have him join Simply while you are at it ~

I hope that his discus is not egg bound and will be okay!

Marie, I sure will, hopefully he will be able to save her, I had a beautiful marlboro a few years back who was laying like clockwork.
one day she stopped laying(looked bloated) and eventually died.
I had tried epsom salt and meds. It was the opinion that she was egg bound.
Tom