PDA

View Full Version : Salt/Salts Question

2sybs
09-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Ok, time to ask for help.
I have a PB that seems to be prone to getting constipated. (such a pig, always hungry) Now the problem is I added 3 new discus to the tank about a week ago bringing the total to 7. Well the RT had a small white cottony spot on his dorsal so I have been treating with salt, raised the temp up to about 87 and adding Aquari-Sol once a day.
The spot has disappeared completely but the tank is still full of regular rock type salt (2Tbs per 10gal) and I was planning to keep it that way for a few more days. All the fish are looking great with the exception of my larger PB who is showing signs again of constipation. (bloated belly with the pinched look right behind it and swimming somewhat erratically at times, though swims just fine when I approach the tank and he thinks its meal time). It's pretty minor so far but he had this problem once before and I treated with epsom salts and after a few days it cleared right up.

My ? is, Can I use epsom salts along with the reg salt already in the tank?

Ps, I know the new fish should have been in QT but I do not have that option at the moment since I only have the one tank and I was looking to spread the aggression out as the smaller PB was taking it on the fin. Also I have been feeding them some FBS with their evening meal.

White Worm
09-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Do a 50% w/c and then use epsom. As G would say, that level of salinity is nothing to worry about.

2sybs
09-30-2007, 04:43 AM
I was aware of that, but thanks.
My concern is do I stop using the reg salt if I need to treat with epsom salts.
Is it safe to use both? :confused:

Edit: sorry guys, just got my answer in one of Carols threads on the last page. guess I missed it before.