PDA

View Full Version : bottom feeder

Sterno
09-30-2007, 02:08 AM
my discus is a bottom feeder he will only eat the food after it has fallen to the gravel LOL

Don Trinko
09-30-2007, 07:56 AM
I have 4 BD that did that. When I first got them they would hide when I fed them and eventualy they would come out and eat from the bottom. Now when they are realy hungry they will eat as it falls. I removed my cats for this reason. Don T.

brewmaster15
09-30-2007, 08:08 AM
I've always thought of discus as bottom feeders of a sort...:) though they eat whats in the water column in front of them in an opportunistic fashion... Discus tend to "blow" their food off the bottom and eat it, IMO.

I think this evolved from the way their wild cousins would feed off the sandy bottoms , blowing away the leaf litter and detritus to find food... have no idea if true but if you watch discus feeding off the bottom of a tank you can envision it.

hth,
al

Kindredspirit
09-30-2007, 09:19 AM
though they eat whats in the water column in front of them in an opportunistic fashion...

You could not have said this better, Al! Sometimes, though, they just don't see it....lol!

Discus tend to "blow" their food off the bottom and eat it, IMO.

I have not seen this often with mine, but when I first did it was really cool! It makes them come off really intelligent....:D

Kindredspirit
09-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Now when they are realy hungry they will eat as it falls. I removed my cats for this reason. Don T.

Don, I must ask....you removed your cats?.....from....? Because the discus are close to the top of the tank?

Or ~ am I just....missing something?:o lol!

Don Trinko
09-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I removed the cat fish (cory's) because they were not needed. The discus ate so slow the corys would have got all the food. Don T.

Kindredspirit
09-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I knew it:) Or at least I thought that was what you meant!