PDA

View Full Version : UV Light...Which one should I get?

wilddiscuss
10-05-2007, 01:03 AM
I have 2 in mind I am going to get. What one do you think I should get?

The first one:

http://www.aquatichouse.com/UVSterilizer_files/DannerUV.asp

I want to get the 40 watt one.

The second one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7999&rel=1

I want the 36 watt one.

Please let me know your opinion and why.

Thanks for your time and feedback!

Todd

tonymaccs
10-05-2007, 06:01 AM
They've both got the vortex flow path which extends exposure time. Personally I really like the idea of the Pondmaster's glowing bulb indicator. I've had problems with bulbs not working and it would be very useful to see with a glance that the bulb is on. The replacement bulb is also cheaper with this one.
So I'd go for the 40watt.
Just my opinion.
Tony

FishLover888
10-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Both UV you need a pump to push the water through. Not so many tank pump will use 1 1/2 inch fitting of the pondmaster. If you do find a pump like that, most likely will be very noise and the flow rate will be too fast. There is a lot of water you can push through the 1 1/2 pipe.

I would go with the other one just because of the fitting. You have a better chance finding a quiet pump.

tonymaccs
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
A simple reducer or bushing will allow you to go to whatever pipe size you choose-1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4.....unlimited choice. Some of the better designed UV units have very large inlet and outlet diameters with multiple stepped reducers.
Larger inlet and outlets result in lower velocities and improved exposure time. Another benefit is reduced friction losses and better pumping efficiencies.
In my experience the reverse screw barb fittings on the Turbo twist unit are very ordinary and not particularly secure.
Tony

wilddiscuss
10-06-2007, 01:23 AM
So right now it sounds like 50/50 between the 2 units. Sounds like they are almost even. I am leaning toward the pondmaster unit a bit. If it is just going to take an adapter attachment so I can have a quiet pump, than that's not a big deal. But I need more feedback to make a decision. So please keep up with your thoughts and opinions. It will make me feel better about my decision. Thanks for all your time and thoughts.

Todd