PDA

View Full Version : Gentics - Yellow discus

royong99
10-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Good day to all,

I've always fancy owning a piece of yellow discus. Ideally the color should be that of a yellow banana. Most of what we have in asia are mainly goldens.

Can anyone help enlighten how to derive a yellowish strain? Pls refer to the pics below.

PS: These pics are not mine and I'm not sure if the fishes have been enhanced in anyway.

kaceyo
10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
True yellow discus can be hard to find. The only yellows I've bought were colored artificially and soon turned into a typical orange pigeon. On mine, even the eyes were yellow, like the one in your first pic. If you do get a real yellow, you have to be very careful of what you feed it. Any processed food with even small amounts of color enhancers will turn it orange. That means you can't feed them flake/pellet foods, shrimp, or anything with spirolina or beta carotien in it.
If you really want yellows, I'd suggest you do some homework and find out who is breeding true yellows and purchase from them.
BTW, the yellows in your pics look a little too bright to me but thats pure speculation on my part.

Kacey

LizStreithorst
10-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Three or four years ago Cary had a gorgeous breeding pair of butter yellow Discus. I don't know what ever became of them or even if they reproduced their color in thier fry. They were so beautiful though that their picture remains in my mind. Good luck in your quest.

Polar_Bear
10-06-2007, 08:29 PM
While we were in California Harriett picked up some very yellow fish from Kenny and Louis http://www.internationaldiscus.com/
I had them in my tanks for about 2 months. During that time they remained yellow even though I was feeding them Sera Blue Pellets and FBW. They did get a bit of red on the very top edge of their dorsal fin though, but other than that remained quite yellow.

kaceyo
10-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Larry,
They must have been the real deal to have stayed yellow for that long while being fed the Sera Pellets. When I bought mine the yellow craze was going on and everybody wanted them, but they were still fairly new and there weren't many real yellows around. Of course there were plenty of exporters ready to supply the "died" yellow fish that faded to orange quickly. Mine ended up being my first breeding pair tho so I was happy in the long run.

Kacey

Polar_Bear
10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Kacey,
Since they actually belonged to Harriett and I didn't want to become attached to them I didn't scrutanize them they way I would have if they were mine, I can only tell you with certainty that they didn't appear to be pigeon based, other than that I know nothing about them. Hopefully Kenny will see this in one of his, now rare, visits and comment. I can also tell you they were growing as well as the other fish we got and went from ca. 2" SL to just over 3" SL in 2 months.

royong99
10-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi guys,

Tks for sharing. One more question, if I can find my yellow discus :) , what natural or manmade food should I feed them with to maintain the yellowish tint?

A friend of mine told me to get something called chlorophyll Yellow. Does this work or is there an alternatives?

Cheers
Roy

CliffsDiscus
10-07-2007, 02:38 PM
SnowWhite feed with mussels will produce a clean bright yellow fish. Pigeons feed with this same type of food will produce a yellowish/orange but still show the pigeon base. Some color foods now days can last a life time as internal organs are colored too, only their offspring
will display their true colors.

Cliff

kaceyo
10-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi Cliff,
I have noticed a number of fish these days that carry their bright colors thru adulthood while the offspring never will be as intensly colored. At least not with the standard enhancers that hobbiests such as myself use, and I've wondered for a long time what the exporters use to get that effect.
Roy,
There is a synthetic color enhancer called carophyl yellow that is used by canary owners to enhance the color of their birds. Carophyl comes in yellow, orange and red (which includes pink). It can be used on fish but I think if you have a real yellow discus you shouldn't need it.
I've read that magnolia pettals will help but haven't tried it.
HTH

Kacey

royong99
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Kaceyo,

Tks for the info. Didn't realize I got the spelling wrong. Chlorophyll instead of Carophyll. :o

Is there a reliable online store where I can order these?

Rgds
Roy

kaceyo
10-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Roy,
I've never used it but any long standing bird supply store on the internet should have what your looking for. You'll have to experiment with the amount to use or find someone with experience to advise you on how much to put in the food. I know Drs Foster and Smith, Pet Solutions and That Pet Place all have bird sections but not sure if they carry carophyl.

Kacey

Ardan
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Three or four years ago Cary had a gorgeous breeding pair of butter yellow Discus. I don't know what ever became of them or even if they reproduced their color in thier fry. They were so beautiful though that their picture remains in my mind. Good luck in your quest.

I know he no longer has the original pair, but has/had a couple of other pairs from the offspring. I have some of the offspring from those new pairs:)
I am feeding tetrabits and bloodworms so mine are currently somewhat orange/yellow.:)

Call Cary and ask for golden yellow pics to see if that is what you are looking for.

hth
Ardan

CARY_GLdiscus
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
No Nothing like that Unless I coloer feed it!

Mine are more Safty Yellow LOL!

Harriett
10-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I did get 4 lemon yellows from Kenny while at the ACA with Larry and Ingrid this summer. They are all doing well and the reddish tint on the unpaired fins Larry spoke of has gone away now that they are off the Sera. I am feeding them myasis shrimp, FBW, and CBW. They are still nice and yellow, though one has a bit of very very pale almost dusty grey over the yellow. Happy and growing like weeds. I do have [my prides and joy] 4 one year old albino yellow discus with yellow eyes that came from Thailand--I have NO idea from where or who: my son manages a pet shop and they came in as part of a buy from 2 guys starting an independent business that fell apart shortly after--I tried relentlessly to get more of course, but the guys disappeared....they are a pure buttery yellow without any other color, no white striations in the face or fins--just pure gorgeous yellow. Hoping to breed these guys when they are ready--so far, they are still acting like kids, though the 2 larger ones are a good 6". I think I may actually have 2M and 2F by the looks of them. Some of the Chicago folks have seen them [Larry, Joe, Bill Egan, Tiffany and Andres, etc]. At some point I will get photos posted of them.
Best regards
Harriett

Greg Richardson
10-14-2007, 12:51 AM
they are a pure buttery yellow without any other color, no white striations in the face or fins--just pure gorgeous yellow.

How about some pictures of these?

Harriett
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I'll see what I can do this week, Greg.
Best regards
Harriett

CARY_GLdiscus
10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Yep! I seen pics when Harriett was at my house!

Very Nice Indeed!

Cary Gld!

Harriett
10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Cary--
Gee, thanks sun!
H

CARY_GLdiscus
10-18-2007, 03:49 PM
O MoM,

You Know me if they were BUTT ugly I would say so LOL!

Sun : )