PDA

View Full Version : PVC Pipe Cement...Toxic?

wilddiscuss
10-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi,

I am going to bee running a drain line connected to a submersible pump. It's for a 75 gallon tank. I am using pvc for the line. From what I have heard the cement is toxic for fish....but I have heard that once it dries it isn't harmful. This is why I am paranoid. Let me explain. The line that is attached to the pump is going to have cement on it. It'll be submerged in the water 24/7. Is that going to be a big deal? Or is it true that it isn't toxic once it's dry. Please let me know.

1 more question. If it isn't toxic to fish. How long should I wait before I submerge the pipe with the cement on it in the tank water? Basically the time I should wait for the cement to dry and be non toxic. Thank you everyone.

Todd

P.S. Sorry 1 more question.... If I decide to use CPVC instead of PVC pipe...is the cement and premier safe, just as pvc? Thanks again for the help :)

GC_PAUL
10-06-2007, 05:06 AM
Pvc cement set up pretty fast ,let it dry for a day and flush out with water.
Pvc is better than cpvc

Elite Aquaria
10-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Just let it cure for day then flush out with water as stated above...I have used it for years without any issues.

Dan

LizStreithorst
10-06-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm a messy plumber. I've had drops of PVC cement fall in the fish tank. It clumps up rather than dispearses and causes no porblem whatsoever.

wilddiscuss
10-06-2007, 10:47 AM
ok Thanks! But is it ok and just as safe to use CPVC? Is the cement just as safe to use? Thanks :)

Todd

Graham
10-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Thay are fine once dried.......

wilddiscuss
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Thannks graham. I thank you all for the opinions and helping me out :)

Todd