PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Broken Glass Repair

emilio50
10-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I have a 65G tank where both sides broke. The rest of the fishtank is ok. I am planning to take it to a glass place for them to cut a piece of glass and repair the tank.

What should I be careful about? Are there glues or stuff they use that I should be careful about? What type of glue and silicone to use?

Emilio
San Juan, Puerto Rico

Tropical Haven
10-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I probably wouldn't repair it especially if you have a whole side to do. You won't know about the strength integrity of it when you are done. If you want to try it, go with an aqaurium silicone to do it with.

Don Trinko
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Glass is also expensive. you may find a new tank is almost as cheap.
Don t.

wilddiscuss
10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
You can find a really cheap used tank most of them with everything you need for cheaper than buying peices of glass for your tank. Go to craigslist.org and look for your fish tank that you desire. Trust me I found mine there for dirt cheap. Make sure when you go there go for the city you are in. Mine's The detroit craiglist.org so whatever city your from look there.

HTH,
Todd

emilio50
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
This is not a good picture... but I really want to get it fixed since it is a set of 3. Space savings is a big plus for me since I live on the 22nd floor of a condo in San Juan. These fishtanks were originally from Petsmart.

Emilio

Graham
10-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Tanks are really easy to fix. Just make sure that the glass company uses aquarium/fish safe silicone...... It'll state it right on the tube......and the same thickness of glass.

G

Richy44
10-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Is that a salt bucket in the photo...hmmm didn't know discus were reef safe:)

Cheers

Rick.....

phidelt85
10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Despierta, Boricua!!! I just resealed my 55 and so far so good. I actually used GE Silicone I with no bioseal. I put a 1" seam just for some added security. The most important thing to do is clean off all the old residual silicone and clean the glass with methanol. I will help get any residual silicone off as well. I would also recommend taking the whole tank apart and starting from scratch. I don't know how much glass is in PR but it isn't more than buying a new tank at least it isn't in Oklahoma.

I'll see if I can find a link for you
Jose