PDA

View Full Version : What is the norm, when it comes to

alxjss
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Scratching and Twitching.
Well, after 6 months of getting to no discus, I can sit here and tell u that I don't no what a normal discus should act like. I do also realize i didn't have real good filtration even w/the fluval. I went and bought a aquaclear 110. I can't believe what a difference is in this tank. Also, there is a sponge big enought for 125 gal, and a 10 gal sponge. I have been doing daily w/c of +/- 50%. I have cut down enourmously on the feeding and I like that real well.
What my ? is, is it normal for a discus to occasionally twich? What about scratching? Water parms r good. Trates @ 1 Does anyone else have this problem? Tankmates r 8 cories and 7 rasboras. Also a clown loach.

johnm
10-14-2007, 10:32 PM
mine twitch on occasion, very rarly have i seen the scratch against anything.

alxjss
10-15-2007, 05:35 AM
mine twitch on occasion, very rarly have i seen the scratch against anything.

Thanks John. U started, hopefully, I will get more responses.

Don Trinko
10-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I have one tank that a couple fish started to scratch on the plants. It was suggested that they might have flukes. Prazipro cured it. I has happened again after several months and the prazipro worked again. I have 2 other tanks with discus. Similar bioload and wc schedule but no problems. It was suggested that flukes are frequently present but not always in numbers that bother the fish.
Don T.

kaceyo
10-15-2007, 09:40 AM
If they're scratching and flashing a few times a day then just watch as it could be nothing. If they do it a few times an hour then start taking action by increasing wc's and take it from there.

Kacey

2sybs
10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
So I can take it that the twitching is normal?
Mine do it on occasion as well.

Tropical Haven
10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Twitching is usually normal especially when they get older because this is part of a mating ritual as well.

alxjss
10-15-2007, 03:03 PM
If they're scratching and flashing a few times a day then just watch as it could be nothing. If they do it a few times an hour then start taking action by increasing wc's and take it from there.

Kacey

I already change 50%+ daily. What r u suggesting?

kaceyo
10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi Eileen,
I was suggesting nothing :) Only giving you a gauge by which to help decide if your fish are acting normaly or having problems. Although larger and more frequent wc's couldn't hurt, right? If your doing 50% wc's daily, and they ARE having problems, you'll need to look elswhere for the reason they are sick. Contamination, newly introduced fish, etc.

Kacey

alxjss
10-15-2007, 09:14 PM
I can't see anything that would contaminate in the tank. Usually rinse sponges about 1/mo, clean the sides of tank almost every w/c. This is why i am baffeled. I just don't understand. Why is there sooo much scratching? Thats happening more than twitching. I have a pr that is gonna spawn here real soon. Can't be that bad huh? Also, my cories and rasboras, and clown loach scratch as well. Could it be a parasite?:confused:

kaceyo
10-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes, it could. It's impossible to say for sure tho. If it were me, and I saw no other symptoms, and all params checked out OK, I'd do a PP treatment. Are they scratching mainly on the gills? If so, a prazi treatment could do the trick.

Kacey

Tropical Haven
10-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Your sponges could be the problem if you are cleaning them out once a month. Do not let your sponges go longer then 2 weeks before you clean them especially if there is a high bioload in there.

alxjss
10-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Your sponges could be the problem if you are cleaning them out once a month. Do not let your sponges go longer then 2 weeks before you clean them especially if there is a high bioload in there.

Oh, every 2 weeks huh? Wow, I thought 1 a month was good. Ok, i will try that then, see what happens. Thanks for the info....