PDA

View Full Version : Brew's Homegrown albino alenquers

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Hi all,

About a month ago I posted some pics in another thread of a some albino alenquer fry in a spawn.. These were from a pair of alenquer albino intermediates.. I got these adults from Kenny's last Forrest shipment (thanks guys!!:)) and really didn't think I'd have much luck with the albinos..but being a wild discus nut...the F1 wild type alenquers drew me in like a bee to honey.:)

well I was pleasantly surprised that I got a small group of albino fry out of a spawn....I though there was maybe 8.....turns out 12 out of 100 were albino... Heres some updated photos...these guys are about 1 month old and doing great...

-al

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 04:50 AM
The story gets a little better too...:) I have another group of fry ...same parents.. this spawn was bigger...looks like maybe 25 albinos and 100 wild type.. These went swimming a few days ago.

hope you like them..

-al

Jeffrey_Yang
10-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Well done and they are certainly looking good. :) Its definitely not easy breeding and raising albinos. So now, we have yet another master breeder in simply!

jeff

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks Jeff!!:)

So now, we have yet another master breeder in simply!LOL!!!! I have far too much still to learn to be a master but someday that would be nice:)

thanks again,

al

Ardan
10-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Great job Al!:):)
They really look nice! That is an awesome pair and the fry look very nice to me:)

Ardan

Condor
10-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Al thats pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing them grow.

Adrian

dpt8
10-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Al, Is this one of the first breeding of Albino Alanc in the country?? Great job. And to think this Master is in New England.... YAHOO !!!

senso
10-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Congrats.
Nice sights. The parents are superb

Kindredspirit
10-16-2007, 08:23 AM
I knew you always have.......a secret project goin on, Al! You must be so proud!:)

The pictures are great!!

crimson cross
10-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Looking good, Al.

forrest
10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
hi all,
i think things r getting better n nicer,not u or me but the parents of those juv lol.i was getting 5 pcs albino b4 i send the batch out to kenny,now u got 12 pcs then later maybe 25.the juv parent going to be master in breeding,lol.

btw,congrats n keep up the good job.

best rgds,
forrest.

kaceyo
10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Congrats Al. And don't be so humble. Entering the ranks of albino breeders is no small thing. ;)

Kacey

GrillMaster
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
al.....You havin an Octoberfest in that fishroom of yours??:D

I have to get over to your place! I've never seen fry attached in person yet. Would love to see it! :)

tc
Mark

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone.:)
-al

Mark... c'mon down... watching fry on their parents is a beautiful sight!:D

DISCUS USA
10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Al i know you might want to hold on to the albino ones but are you going to sell the other ones that are not albino?

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
HI Hector,
I'll be holding onto the albinos for now... and I'll hold onto some wild types... but I can't keep them all.. between the last two spawns I'll have quite a few here.......and I am already a tad over stocked:D

tank of wild type...siblings of the 12 albinos... I put the albinos in a 30 gal for grow out and these are in 55 gal..soon to go to a 75 gal.

-al

Tropical Haven
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
AL,
You definitely have a nice batch of babies from that pair over the last 2 spawns. Congrats and keep up the great work.

Clyde
10-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Very cool stuff Al, I would be interested to know what an albino alenquer looks like as an adult. Will two albinos produce all albino offspring?

Mark O

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Scott!:)

Hi Mark,
yes... two albinos will produce albinos.. and only albinos. Its a recessive trait...so 2 fish can carry the genes as in my intermediates pair here... but not show them... when they breed... a percentage .... around 25% should be albino...50 % will be recessive for the trait..looking normal but carrying the albino genes.. and 25 % will look normal and carry no albino genes......

as for what they will look like... no idea:) my guess probably similar to a golden albino... Thats the fun part....not really knowing... maybe someone has a pic of an albino alenquer adult?

hth,
al

Rod
10-16-2007, 03:59 PM
well done Al, looks like you have a great pair there mate.

Rod:)

Bazo
10-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi Al

Just wanted to know if you had any trouble with the albino fries finding their parents after leaving the cone, any adivce will be welcome as i have a batch of albinos ready to leave the cone,the parents are light coloured

Regards
Paulo

April
10-16-2007, 04:46 PM
heh..brew..your doing well with my fish..lol. remember me..when you get a whole pile..id go for some of the wild look regular ones..you can send them with my angels. right? : )

Elite Aquaria
10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Congrats Al....

Dan

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 05:15 PM
LOL... April... If you want some... you got them.:)

Paulo,
yes I did have trouble, even with these dark parents...... These were really a pain to get to attach... I literally dropped the water level to the top of the fish and removed the sponge filter... I just did alot of water changes... If the parents are light colored then I would be sure all dark objects are away from them.. and be sure the back ground is light. ... it seemed to help. Good luck with your albinos!:)

-al

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey April,

Maybe when you are at Fedex picking mine up... you might be able to drop me off some nice canadian spotteds from that pair of yours;):D:D:D:D

-al

ps.. Thanks Dan!:)

bikhu
10-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Al,
Nice looking fry. But then you always do have nice looking fry. Congratulations!
I so need to come visit you. Its been a long time. We are going to Mystic this weekend. Any chance you will be around Sunday afternoon? I am wondering about the possibility of stopping by for a short visit on our way home...
peter

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Peter,
Its been ages since we have seen you guys! If you'll be in the area on Sunday and want to stop by... we'll be home.:) It'd be great seeing you, Maureen and Austin.

-al

Darren's Discus
10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Al,
Mate those albino's look a little pale maybe you should send them downunder to get a tan ! LOL
mate awesome work they look fantastic,I currently have a pair of golden albino's going through the motions just hoping something comes of it. Al here's a challenge for you be the first to develop an albino heckel !

cheers

brewmaster15
10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Al here's a challenge for you be the first to develop an albino heckel ! Lol Darren...I'll leave it to you to guess if that might not be something that I would love to accomplish... :) Of course... breeding wild ones would have to come first.... but why settle for the clouds when you can reach for the stars my friend.;)
thanks!

al

White Worm
10-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

About a month ago I posted some pics in another thread of a some albino alenquer fry in a spawn.. These were from a pair of alenquer albino intermediates.. I got these adults from Kenny's last Forrest shipment (thanks guys!!:)) and really didn't think I'd have much luck with the albinos..but being a wild discus nut...the F1 wild type alenquers drew me in like a bee to honey.:)

well I was pleasantly surprised that I got a small group of albino fry out of a spawn....I though there was maybe 8.....turns out 12 out of 100 were albino... Heres some updated photos...these guys are about 1 month old and doing great...

-al
It seems that your fry will be the right age around christmas to send out to your friends at simply? What do you think santa discus?

alxjss
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow, beautiful. I remember the post well with the little albino's. Great to see u put ur skills to work on such a fine project.

Green Country Discus
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Very nice Al ;)!!!!!!!! We would interested in some intermediates.

Kenny's Discus
10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Al, big congrats and what an accomplishment in raising the albino frys to the form they are...it's definitely not an easy task raising albino juvies and it seemed so easy for you.:thumbsup:

Forrest, you might have only gotten 5 albino juvies when you sent them to me; but what in the world was I thinking sending all these beauties out to the far east lol?:(:( Al, save me all the albino frys! :D (j/k on the word ALL)

Keep up this great work my friend! You're the man!:)

Kenny

Anthony
10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Al, Big congrats yah.:thumbsup: Please update us from time to time ! Keep up ur good work.:wave:

Upper Canada
10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
"Hi Mark,
yes... two albinos will produce albinos.. and only albinos. Its a recessive trait...so 2 fish can carry the genes as in my intermediates pair here... but not show them... when they breed... a percentage .... around 25% should be albino...50 % will be recessive for the trait..looking normal but carrying the albino genes.. and 25 % will look normal and carry no albino genes......"

Al thank you for expressing that fact so clearly. I do share your appreciation towards the wild side. I have the same strain, also from Forrest, and my pair just moved the wrigglers to the back of the cone. It is their second spawn, the first was also small in number. This one does look bigger.

Bob

Ryan
10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Al, they look amazing. I can't wait until they round up at around 2".

yes... two albinos will produce albinos.. and only albinos.

Unless you're dealing with kribensis, in which case two albino parents will have a mix of albino and normal fry :D

Wahter
10-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Excellent Al! I'm glad those parents are producing some albino fry. Can you keep us informed of the status and appearance of those youngsters?

Walter

mandisc
10-17-2007, 09:41 AM
The story gets a little better too...:) I have another group of fry ...same parents.. this spawn was bigger...looks like maybe 25 albinos and 100 wild type.. These went swimming a few days ago.

hope you like them..

-al

hi al,
they certainly get better and better after each spawn. simply awesome. well done.

Elcid
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow Al:

Congrats! I've been watching ur Albino fry threads with much interest :) Learned a few things too like "How low can you go with the water level to get fry to attach!" :)....Thanks for sharing! and I'm looking forward to seeing how big you can get these :)

take care,
Sandeep

tpl*co
10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Al, they look amazing. I can't wait until they round up at around 2".

Unless you're dealing with kribensis, in which case two albino parents will have a mix of albino and normal fry :D

Al, those babies look great, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I think Ryan's comment also applies to bristlenose plecos, my fish had a 50/50 mix of browns and albino (and don't know the ratio of long to short fin)

Tina

brewmaster15
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words..:)

Hey Ryan and Tina,
On the albinism.... The explanation I posted for the genetics is the text book case of a recessive gene.. whether its albinism or any other trait.. two heterozygous parents yield a predictable proportion of Offspring carrying the traits and expressing (25%), carrying but not expressing(50%), and not carrying at all (25%). Thats the rule usually...but there are variations.... I wonder if in your fish what you are seeing is something like this.. Sorry its people based..:(

Types of Albinism

While most people with albinism have very light skin and hair, not all do. Oculocutaneous (pronounced Ock-you-low-kew-Tain-ee-us) albinism involves the eyes, hair, and skin. Ocular albinism involves primarily the eyes, while skin and hair may appear similar or slightly lighter than that of other family members.
Over the years researchers have used various systems for classifying oculocutaneous albinism. In general, these systems contrasted types of albinism having almost no pigmentation with types having slight pigmentation. In less pigmented types of albinism, hair and skin are cream-colored, and vision is often in the range of 20/200. In types with slight pigmentation, hair appears more yellow or red-tinged, and vision often corrects to 20/60. Early descriptions of albinism called these main categories of albinism "complete" and "incomplete" albinism. Later researchers used a test that involved plucking a hair root, and seeing if it would make pigment in a test tube. This test separated "ty-neg" (no pigment) from "ty-pos" (some pigment). Further research showed that this test was inconsistent, and added little information to the clinical exam.
http://www.albinism.org/publications/what_is_albinism.html

Maybe those non-albinos you saw were along the lines of above...

hth,
al

brewmaster15
11-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi all,
heres an update on my fry from this pair...so far all is going well.. I have two batches going... one is about 4 weeks and the other is 6-7 weeks...

hope you like them...I do.:)

-al

heres the newest batch 4 weeks...

albinos.. and wild type are separated..

brewmaster15
11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
6 week albinos...

-al

brewmaster15
11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
wild type here at about 6-7 weeks...

-al

DISCUS USA
11-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Holy smokes thats sooo cool.. so many babies with good shapes already at such young age.. way to go Al..

brewmaster15
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks Hector,

They have been a great group of fry to grow out...both the albinos and wild type are very strong lines here I think.

take care,
al

Green Country Discus
11-07-2007, 02:25 PM
They are looking sweet my friend ;)! Fat and healthy! Looks like you are doing all the right things. Please do keep us updated.

Rod
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Looking very nice Al, they look every bit as healthy as the non albino siblings. Thanks for the update.

Diamond Discus
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Both batches are adorable. What great color they have already. They look so healthy and pretty big, are the size of a quarter, or bigger??

brewmaster15
11-07-2007, 05:03 PM
the newer batch is about the size of a nickel... and the older ones are a bit bigger than a quarter...

Thanks for the comments...I just keep feeding them and giving them LOTS of clean water;):)

-al

Darren's Discus
11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Al,
They are looking great,look forward to the updates.

cheers

GrillMaster
11-07-2007, 08:01 PM
I see the amount a brine shrimp you were stuffing thier faces with have paid off!! :D

Lot bigger now than when I saw em a couple of weeks ago...:thumbsup:

I wish I could suck the crap up off the bottom of tank as quick as you can whip up a batch of brine shrimp!! Or is my python just really slow? :D ;) ;)

tc
Mark

Kenny's Discus
11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Al, thanks for setting all the frys aside for me!:D The only "problem" is you forgot to put my name on the tank glass LOL!:p
I love those albino and wild-type frys and they're growing by leaps and bounds under your TLC!

As usual, such great work by the master! Enough said.:)

Kenny

brewmaster15
11-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys:)

Kenny,
The pairs on another set of eggs as I type...I'll be sure to label it kennys tank;)

-al

Kenny's Discus
11-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys:)

Kenny,
The pairs on another set of eggs as I type...I'll be sure to label it kennys tank;)

-al

You just made my day Al! Thank you so much!:p

Kenny

Elite Aquaria
11-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Al,

Looks like they are coming along nicely. Keep up the great work. Now I need to get me some Albinos...:D

Dan

Kindredspirit
11-09-2007, 09:06 AM
and giving them LOTS of clean water;):)

-al

You mean you do wc?:D Do you test it first?:D

Kenny's Discus
11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
You mean you do wc?:D Do you test it first?:D

:D:D Now that's our Marie.

Kenny

Ardan
11-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Al,
They are shaping up very nice!:)
I like them:D

Great job! Your hard work really shows

Ardan

BSW
11-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Very cool fish !
And thanks for all the interesting Albino info.
B

renae
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Congratulations Al..I wish I could get my hands on some of them..This is a great thread btw,I've enjoyed reading through it.
Renae.

Ardan
11-18-2007, 01:03 PM
They are looking great:)

What are the water parameters for the pair to spawn? (being they are wilds, do you do different than domestics?)

Just curious:)

Thanks
Ardan

brewmaster15
11-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi Ardan,
Breeders here are 50-100us water whether domestic or wild, pH 6.5-6.8 on the average though it may go as high as low 7's., temp is about 82F.

hth,
al

jeep
11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Looking good!! Let me know if you need someone to takesome off your hands ;)

brewmaster15
11-20-2007, 05:41 PM
I'll tell you what... for a group of wild type fish...These alenquer siblings of the albinos are really something....by far some of the most voracious eaters I have raised...and very uniform in size and shape..

the albinos are beautiful but these alenquers are amazing...

a few pics...

-al

Rod
11-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll tell you what... for a group of wild type fish...These alenquer siblings of the albinos are really something....by far some of the most voracious eaters I have raised...and very uniform in size and shape..

a few pics...

-al

Great spawn Al, Gotta love it when everything clicks into place. :)

Darren's Discus
11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Al,
looks like you got a lot of hungry mouths their !

cheers

bikhu
11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
I saw these fish on Saturday in person. They are awesome and hungry! Al simply put his hand near the tank and they swarm ants to honey. I didn't see a cull in the bunch... Really nice fry!
peter

kaceyo
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
They look like they were made with a cookie cutter. Very nice Al. Doesn't hurt that your albino's came from that batch either I bet. ;)

Kacey

GottaBeKiN
11-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey Al, they look great! Maybe I will have to stop by again when I drive to boston.

Kenny's Discus
11-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Al, they looked so healthy and consistent! :thumbsup: Looking at all your current batches/frys I think you are facing a very, very serious situation lol...you will run out of tank space very soon!:D Maybe we can order tanks together? They do drop shipping!!!:D

As always, keep up the great work!

Kenny

Green Country Discus
11-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Al, they are looking very nice indeed ;) ! Their shape and uniform size reflect your hard work. Keep us updated!

pcsb23
11-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Al the albinos look pretty good, but the alenquers look like belters to me :)

Dolphin Dip
11-21-2007, 08:45 PM

a few pics...

-al

wow, alenquers are the fish i wanted most when i set up my tank. i'm crazy jealous!

GrillMaster
11-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I have my name on 8 of em you guys!! ;)

GulfCoastDiscus
11-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi Al,
Did the pair comes from the batch of F1s albino crossed I sent you a long time ago?

Nice. good luck

daniel

brewmaster15
11-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Dan,
No,
These came from a group of f1 Adult alenquer albino intermediates that I got from kenny's Forrest order end of the summer.

Thanks,
al

brewmaster15
11-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi all,
We have a fun contest going on where you might be able to get some of the F2 wild types from this pair....

Details here....
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60741

thanks,
al

Ed13
11-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Dan,
No,
These came from a group of f1 Adult alenquer albino intermediates that I got from kenny's Forrest order end of the summer.

Thanks,
al
So you got my Alenquers, Al:mad: no worries my buddy Kenny will hook me upsome day!;)

Keep up the good work my friend, I'll try and keep an eye on the updates:o!!

brewmaster15
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey stranger!:) Long time no see.. welcome back:D:D
-al

phidelt85
11-28-2007, 01:56 AM
So you got my Alenquers, Al:mad: no worries my buddy Kenny will hook me upsome day!;)

Ed!!! Where the heck have you been?!? Great to see you back, Bro!!

Kenny's Discus
11-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Hey Ed, here's a great opportunity to get some real nice, healthy and homegrown Alenquer frys from the very kind-hearted Al, Alenquer Man.:)

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...ad.php?t=60741 (http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60741)

Glad to see you back it's been quite a long while; how are the nice couple doing? Wish them well!

Kenny

greyhoundfan
11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey Ed, here's a great opportunity to get some real nice, healthy and homegrown Alenquer frys from the very kind-hearted Al, Alenquer Man.:)

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...ad.php?t=60741 (http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=60741)

Glad to see you back it's been quite a long while; how are the nice couple doing? Wish them well!

Kenny

Kenny..you're just torturing him.. Ed lives in Puerto Rico. Al will ship in the US only.. :D

brewmaster15
12-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Actually, I think I might be able to ship to Puerto Rico by Fedex...I was looking around Fedex site and it may be a possibililty.

-al

Kindredspirit
12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Ed!!! Where the heck have you been?!? Great to see you back, Bro!!

umm...Yeah! We had a birthday thread for you:(

brewmaster15
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Hi all,
Took a few updated pics here of the wild type alenquers and the albinos...

Hope you like them..

-al

wild types here.....

brewmaster15
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
albino group

Discus_KC
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
They look great Al !!

Excellent job with them so far.

Jack

fredox
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Hope you like them..

How could you not like them?

Elite Aquaria
01-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Al,

I agree they are looking great...How many of the Albino's do you have?

Rod
01-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Great work Al, the albino especially are stunning discus. Nice small eyes and thick bodies for the size...and the red pigment starting to show looks very interesting....great fish. Can't wait to see how they will look in 9 months........

brewmaster15
01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks Guys, Hopefully they continue to do well!:)

Dan,
I have 12 from the first batch (those are photo'd here...of them I think 4 will be awesome.. 4 should be very nice and 3 are so -so, and 1 I should cull as it has a deformity.but I'm too interested in it.

Theres another 25-30 albinos after culling from the second spawn...these are growing well.. Hopefully they'll do well...

One last set of photos....These are their aunts and uncles..they are the siblings of the frys parents..

Those with the hobbyist contest fish.. this is what you can look forward to from your wild type F2 Alenquers..these are F1's.:):):)

-al

Darren's Discus
01-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Al,
Some stunning fish their those albino's look fantastic,now just add a heckel bar into them and they will be perfect !(there's a challenge for you)

cheers

GrillMaster
01-02-2008, 08:08 PM
They look great Al! Almost have the 75G ready ta go! :)

tc
Mark

Green Country Discus
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Looking sweet my friend! Your Albinos look great and for the challengers, grow yours out right and you will get beauties like Al's. Thanks for the up-date ;).

phidelt85
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow, Al!!!!!!!!!! Those are absolutely awesome lookin'! Are the pics in post #86 from a previous spawn or the same spawn as the Challenge discus? They look great. I really like those albinos.

Congrats!!

brewmaster15
01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
thanks again everyone!!!

Jose,
Those alenquers in post 86 are an older batch...same parents though....BTW..Mom and dad are on eggs again.:)

-al

phidelt85
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
thanks again everyone!!!

....BTW..Mom and dad are on eggs again.:)

-al

Sheesh what's in your water? :D

brewmaster15
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Jose,

I wish I had magic water...What I really have is a hatchery of Stubborn Pairs if we are talking discus and one very very good pair.:)

Now angels...thats a different matter all together.:)

-al

Jason
01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
very nice Al!
I love the red developing in the fins of both types, vibrant colour but still natural, well done bud:)

Kenny's Discus
01-04-2008, 07:48 AM
albino group

Al, they are absolutely stunning!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: You are becoming the great albino breeder my friend. Look at the shape, color, and healthiness of them all I can say is WOW. Your F2 Alenquers are also amazing, I bet they are voracious eaters just by looking at their pictures. All in all just wonderful work and achievements.:)

For those who live within driving distance of our great friend Al, here is your chance to clear out these albino and alenquers LOL. j/k You guys are blessed I'm serious.:)

Keep up the great work Al.

Kenny

Ardan
01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Very very nice Al!:) All of them.

For those who live within driving distance of our great friend Al, here is your chance to clear out these albino and alenquers LOL. j/k You guys are blessed I'm serious
Agree that you folks are blessed!

The rest of us need to get a plane:D

Keep us posted! Quite interesting :)

Ardan

mandisc
01-19-2008, 09:30 AM
albino group

those are awesome looking albinos and their shape is near perfect. well done al.

brewmaster15
01-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks Mandisc.,
I hope they continue to grow as well.:)

take care,
al

Carolina discus
01-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Al,
Great jobs with these...they are outstanding discus.....

Eric
Carolina Discus

Anthony
02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Bro. Al, any updating on your Albino Alenquer Red ? How their growing ?:) I will, post some of my Homegrown Alenquer Red....soon !:D

Mattzilla
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
awesome pictures brew

keep them coming mate
matt

DarkDiscus
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Al,

So how are the albinos doing? I think we're all looking forward to watching them grow up!

John

PS. I have some really nice cigars with your name on them...

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi John,
Cool on the cigars!:) Thanks! I'll bring a bottle of red:):)

I'll have to take some more pics...been a rough month here healthwise ...between the kids and me...I'm not sure whose been sicker.:(

I've gone thru my fry from these groups and selected my grow outs....

6 albinos and 12 wild type...... Of the two groups I like the wild type best....they've put on a good inch over the albinos....

-al

alxjss
02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Cooool.. can't wait for the pics.:)

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
okay...I snapped a few quick ones...forgive the quality pls..

-al

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
more

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
a few more...The albinos were not posing well...

-al

LizStreithorst
02-26-2008, 07:12 PM
They are excellent, Brew.

Brian Mc
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow! Congrats on some outstanding fish. :thumbsup:

Ardan
02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Very nice Al!!
They make that quarter look like small change:D
Beautiful!

Ardan

dmun24
02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
GREAT JOB HAVE TO COME UP TO SEE THEM WITH SOME CIGARS DENNIS

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks Liz,Brian... Its a work in progress.:)

Ardan...much appreciated there my friend..:)

Dennis... You're always welcome...cigars not required...but we'll definetly enjoy them..;).I've been breeding some cherry shrimp as well....might want to try a few in your tanks ...they are really great little critters...

-al

dmun24
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
HI AL WOULD LOVE SOME CHREEY SHRIMP MAY TAKE A FEW DISCUS OFF YOUR HANDS DENNIS

Green Country Discus
02-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Al my friend, I hope everyone is healing up. Maybe you need to PP the whole group of ya :D.
I am impressed with the development of these Discus. They are sweet and show your attention to detail ;). I find it interesting that the albinos are lagging behind on growth. Why do you think this is happening? I have read that albinos are "weaker"??? Not having worked with albinos let me know what you think. Great job and keep us updated!

brewmaster15
02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
THanks Andrew,

we are doing better...I like the PP idea....but might aggrevate my ulcer:)..or make one.

On albinos..and why they lag.....best guess is theres more genes involved in albinism...and these are probably linked... I haven't noticed any eye issues so its not that they don't see their food....it could be because of the tank set ups...I have the albinos in a smaller group.. when I raised out the wild types...they are crammed in a 125...and feeding time was literally a frenzy... Cary Strong once told that if you want to grow em out big...pack them into a large tank...feed like crazy and do massive wc...I did that on wild types.....just not the albinos ..those I separated to a smaller tank...12 to 55 gal originally....and about 50 -70 in the 125's of the wild type..

One note......and this is why I think theres a good chance there genes for albinism linked with other genes.....I barely culled any wild type...I mean maybe 5%.....

....of the albinos...much more ...various defects and just poor shape.... I nit picked on the culling as I want to work with a strong group...but it was very pronounced in this cross.

If I didn't raise them and someone gave me the two groups of fry...I'd think they were unrelated.

Still, just theories on my part...I'm happy as I did get what I hoped for...some good albino stock...and even if they are growing a tad slow...they look proportionate and well shaped so I'm not too worried... I have a couple ARGDs I want to cross these to down the road.:)

thanks again for the comments!

-al

Diskboy12
02-26-2008, 09:45 PM
I love the albinos Al, send some my way lol.

-Kevin

forrest
02-27-2008, 06:14 AM
wow Al,
those albino alenquer look nice.
i sent off the intermediate n now im having problem finding the albino alenquer juv for resell,lol.

all the best.
forrest.

phidelt85
02-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Those albinos and wild types look awesome!! Can't wait till mine get to looking like that. :D

brewmaster15
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Kevin,
I would If I could!Maybe the f3's:)

Forrest,
You did an awesome job on the intermediates....Your loss here has definetly been my gain my friend!:)

Jose,
Your alenquers in the contest have the exact same parentage as these so yours should soon be looking very similar...keep up the great work and it'll pay off...I've been really impressed with how well all of you with the contest fish are doing! I see some of those fishes and I ask myself..."okay now why did I give those away again?":D:D:D

take care,
al

DarkDiscus
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Neat looking fish Al!

You definitely have the knack for growing them up as well as breeding them.

I was especially interested in your genetics lesson as I'm working with some new albino Lamprologus brichardi... Curious to see if they breed and what their fry look like.

Keep us updated!

John

Elite Aquaria
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
How did we not talk about these yesterday...:D

Looks like the food program is working nicely...I may need to try a few of your blends...:D

They look fantastic. I can't wait to see what crossing those Albino's will bring...

Kenny's Discus
02-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Al, great looking homegrown albinos and alenquers no doubt about it. :thumbsup:

When I was looking at your Albino photos something interesting came to mind...when you look at the iris color of most albinos they often seem like they have chipped eyes but they really aren't. I'm thinking since genetically the black pigment color is "taken away" from the albinos; the missing, or now white/chipped iris color(near the top and bottom of the iris) was once the black eye bar showing on some of the non-albinos' eyes. Just a thought of course.

Keep up the great work Al and I'm looking forward to seeing the future ARGD crosses into your albinos.:)

Kenny

Condor
02-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow Al. Fantastic.

Adrian

brewmaster15
01-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi all,
Its been a real long time since I updated this thread.. I didn't want to post until the Hobbyist Contest was over...and since it is now...I guess I should update things.

I've at this point got a group of 13 young adult wild type alenquers and 6 albino forms... I'm really impressed with the wild type ones...amazing behavior and looks... The albinos...could be better but still workable..:) I'm glad I kept both groups to work with. Now I am just in holding pattern waiting to get some f3 fry from pairs yet to form... lots of sparring...no breeding yet.

hope you like the pics,
al

brewmaster15
01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
more wild type

brewmaster15
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
albinos..... theres 3 that are albino pearl diamonds...not bred by me...these are the ones with little to no pattern and no forehead striations...I hope to cross them and start a new line ...somewhere in the future...

-al

brewmaster15
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
a few more...

brewmaster15
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
So there you have it .. a bit late on the updates but better than never:)

These fish are currently about 15 months old.

opinions welcome!

-al

ashaysathe
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
opinions welcome!

-al

Wow.. Amazing.. They look even gr8 in person. Even their parents must be saying we couldn't have done a better job than this.

Super Cool

mikel
01-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Like I said when I saw them in person...it's got to be that magic BH mix....

moik
01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Must be proud to see all these guys/girls grown up. Job well done they look very good. Happy too.

bs6749
01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Awesome fish Al! Defintely a great job growing them out. Nice roundness to them all.

tacks
01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Al Very nice, both groups look great. I lean towars the wild ones a little more. Some f3 would be very happy in Fl. were it is warm. Thanks and nice work Ed

kirkp
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
What can be said Al? Beautiful fish and I'd love to have some just like them in my tank.

Kirk

Ed13
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
WOW!!!

dpt8
01-16-2009, 08:20 PM
It looks unreal to see all 13 alenquers in their large tank and see the albinos all together in their tank. They are all so beautiful and unifromly large. All same size. My favorite part is to see how large they are now and see the quarter still taped to the corner of the tank, remembering when they were smaller than that quarter.. hehe Great job !!!

Eddie
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Al, you are officially THE MAN!!! Those discus are business!!

Eddie

BOBT00LS
01-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Great Looking Discus !!!! Its no surprise coming from you Al. Sure would like to see a few of those albinos in my tanks.

Bob

Kenny's Discus
01-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Wonderful work as always Al! Both the Alenquers and Albinos have nice, uniform shape and size to them. I'm with David they look very pleasing to the eye with the same strain in their own tank! Just beautiful. Keep up the great work my friend!:):)

Kenny

Joshcat
01-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Simply stunning fish Al. You did a fantastic job growing them out! I'd love to have a couple of those beautie's.

Sincerely, Cathy

casw
01-17-2009, 04:51 AM
They are all very nice! How many fish did you have to cull to get such nice shapes, or were most of them that round to begin with?

forrest
01-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Wow AL,those fishes r fat n healthy,wonderful job.
thx for sharing.

best rgds,
forrest.

01-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Me thinks you are a bit modest.:D

brewmaster15
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks Everyone!:) Glad you like them ! They've been a real pleasure to work with.

Casw,
They are all very nice! How many fish did you have to cull to get such nice shapes, or were most of them that round to begin with? I culled the albinos real heavy...I had to as the shape was not there... I didn't cull the wild types much at all...very uniform healthy group.

tacks,
Some f3 would be very happy in Fl. were it is warm. Thanks and nice work Ed working on it my friend!

Forrest
Wow AL,those fishes r fat n healthy,wonderful job.
thx for sharing.

best rgds,
forrest. Coming from you my friend....that means alot...especially since these F2s came from your F1 cross.:):)

Thanks again,
al

GrillMaster
01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
The last pic in post #131....:thumbsup:

You already know how I feel bout yer Alenquers! :D :D :D

April
01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
i love em!! im sure those are the ones i asked for..lol. but they went to the right person who could do them justice. im impressed. beautiful

brewmaster15
01-17-2009, 03:22 PM
i love em!! im sure those are the ones i asked for..lol. but they went to the right person who could do them justice. im impressed. beautiful Yes April, I do I believe I beat you to the parent stock.... that time;).....according to Kenny...we have the same taste in fish:):)LOL! First picks from the next generation go to you:)

-al