PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates in tap water

guille2007
10-18-2007, 12:46 PM
What is the source of nitrates in tap water?, mine is 15 ppm, hard to keep it under 40 ppm in tank if not daily WC.

Don Trinko
10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
There are some resins that you can put in your filter that remove nitrates. I have tryed them but they are not good at removing large amounts of nitrates. I thing RO water filters remove nitrates. You could mix ro with tap to reduce the level. Don T.

guille2007
10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Don, it's courious where nitrates in tap water come from since in fish tank it is the result of bio bacterias but what about there in chlorined no bacteria tap water?

Graham
10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Nitrates in tap water is very common in agriculture farming areas. The come from the fertilizers used.............

fishmama
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Nitrates are also produced by the oxidation of sewage effluents.

guille2007
10-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Nitrates in tap water is very common in agriculture farming areas. The come from the fertilizers used.............

But I live in the city, I get city drinkable water and the nitrates are always about 10-15 ppm

guille2007
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Nitrates are also produced by the oxidation of sewage effluents.

My tap water is not recycled, it is drinkable, most of ppl here drink that water directly(no my case) and they get no sick, so where is nitrates source in this case?, is this caused by contamination?

fishmama
10-18-2007, 06:08 PM
This link may help explain where your tap water comes from:

http://www.dwi.gov.uk/consumer/faq/tapwater.htm

hth
Lisa

fishmama
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
BTW Nitrate 10-15 ppm is a safe and acceptable level in drinking water, quite common...many places have much higher.

guille2007
10-18-2007, 06:34 PM
This link may help explain where your tap water comes from:

http://www.dwi.gov.uk/consumer/faq/tapwater.htm

hth
Lisa

Very interesting link, thanks Lisa

Graham
10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Lisa keep in mind that he is in Cuba and probably doesn't have sewage treatment plants that turn crap into drinking water like the States and other very large cities have in many areas.

My well has no nitrate, while a friend's a 100 miles from here, in farm country does.

G

fishmama
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Yes, true...don't know if Havana has built any wastewater treatment plants. However, I am sure his tap water has nitrates from sewage and/or agricultural runoff regardless of the location of the drainage basin/reservoir.

I grew up on well water in the country and the quality was largely dependent on the water table your well was tapped in to and how deep it was. You could have a neighbor a few miles away with varying water quality. Also the soil composition varied drastically effecting water quality. Our home was on an old earth fault with lots of sandstone and large boulders while our neighbors had mostly clay and flat land. There were farms all around and not everyone had high nitrates.

guille2007
10-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Lisa keep in mind that he is in Cuba and probably doesn't have sewage treatment plants that turn crap into drinking water like the States and other very large cities have in many areas.

My well has no nitrate, while a friend's a 100 miles from here, in farm country does.

G

No sewage treatment plant here, wasted water go to the sea or underground grave.

guille2007
10-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Yes, true...don't know if Havana has built any wastewater treatment plants. However, I am sure his tap water has nitrates from sewage and/or agricultural runoff regardless of the location of the drainage basin/reservoir.

I grew up on well water in the country and the quality was largely dependent on the water table your well was tapped in to and how deep it was. You could have a neighbor a few miles away with varying water quality. Also the soil composition varied drastically effecting water quality. Our home was on an old earth fault with lots of sandstone and large boulders while our neighbors had mostly clay and flat land. There were farms all around and not everyone had high nitrates.

My tap water comes from underground so don't know where sewage could be present in this case. That's why I asked for nitrates source since I know that it is water directly extracted from underground and processed in aqueduct.