PDA

View Full Version : Crazy in Montana?

bonginator
10-19-2007, 12:17 AM
I have lived on both coasts and had discus tanks.

I recently relocated to Montana and the water here has very high ph and is hard. Any advice or input if I want to maintain a discus tank here successfully?

I have bred angels in the past but have not tackled breeding discus but definately am interested. Am I dreaming with these types of water conditions?

Thanks for any advice that you have.

brewmaster15
10-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Welcome To SimplyDiscus!!!!!:)

I guess the best way to answer the question here is to say that if you want raise Discus , you probably won't have a problem growing and keeping them there.. We have many members here with liquid rock for water..and they keep discus fine.

If you want to breed them you should look into a Reverse Osmosis and/or DI water system..

A good resource on RO water is Russ at
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/

he's a sponsor of the site
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

If this is your first venture into discus, be sure to do your research well and ask many questions .... Do this and Read the back threads on this forum and you'll do fine.:)

hth,
al

bonginator
10-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the advice. The forum seems like a great resource.

Glad to hear my "rock" water won't be an issue in terms of keeping them. I suspect I'll need to acclimate them slowly to the new water environment.

April
10-20-2007, 01:41 AM
talk to jack of discus kc or look at his fishroom pics.hes a sponsor on simply in the sponsor section. but i believe his fishroom pics are in photo gallery. he has ph of about 10...and he does very well. big..healthy beautiful discus . he has a whole setup for ro etc..and automated water changes etc. great read..even if not quite as big an operation..
start with one tank of juveniles..then learn your water. then decide .but..if you were a discus nut.you will always be a discus nut. thats all there is to it..you would never be satisfied with guppies. : )

Apistomaster
10-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Where in Montana are you located? I am ~225 miles West of Missoula and my water is flowing off the same mountains and discus keeping is not a problem. I am on the West slope of the Rockies.

Can you post your tap water test results? Most of this area's tap water will be about pH 7.6 and a T.D.S. >400 ppm.