PDA

View Full Version : 7 spawns unsucessful

discus bob
10-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I am hoping to get some advice for a pair that have been spawning for several months now. First 2 where practice in my 55 gal.
Fish where moved about 6 weeks ago to there own 30 bb tank with sponge filters and pot. Spawns have gone to various stages, #6 spawn and #4 had 30+ free swimmers that did not attach even though I dropped the water level 3 or so inches. 4 or 5 swimmers where still in the tank when #7 occurred.
Since the male seemed to get somewhat aggressive after egg laiying, I removed him from the tank (#7), she ate the eggs within 24 hours.
Since I have surviving swimmers it seems like it is not a water issue but a parenting issue. What do you think?

Water changes/ min 50% every other day with tap water that has been dechlorinated with prime and circulated in a holding tank for at least 24 hours.

Ph 7.2
GH 7
Kh 5
nitrate: 10 pp
nitrite: 0
ammonia: less than .25 which I suspect is the Prime
Thanks for helping me before!
here's a pic of the pair taken before moving to 30 gal.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z19/aquamans/001.jpg

AADiscus
10-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I would say move the female (if she is the eater) after they are done laying/fertilizing eggs. Let the male raise them.

Tropical Haven
10-20-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree with Angela leave the male in next time.

Rod
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Yep, i agree too, leave the male in. He's agro because he doesn't trust her!!

kaceyo
10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Only 7 unsuccesful spawns? I've had pairs go over 20 spawns before they got it right. Sounds like the egg eating issue was just a one time deal since you've gotten freeswimmers more than once. Is that right? If she does it again you can remove her or cover the eggs with a screen. Same with the aggression. If it keeps happening and is endangering the fish, eggs or fry, remove one and leave the one that seems to be the best parent.
When you lower the water level you need to take it down to the tip of the parent fishes dorsal fin. That way the fry can't help but to run into the parents as they swim around. HTH

Kacey

discus bob
10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
When you lower the water level you need to take it down to the tip of the parent fishes dorsal fin. That way the fry can't help but to run into the parents as they swim around. HTH

Kacey

There's one problem , I Didn't go low enough! Thanks
How about the filters, leave them running with it that low?

The egg eating happened on the last spawn after I removed the male.
Right now the BD male is in the breeder with a BD female, who has laid once in the 55.
Strange thing, I bought 5 discus at 2 - 2 1/2", i now have 4 females and one male! I was hopind I could get at least 2 out of 5. He is gonna be busy.
If they have the same problems I will remove the female.
Thanks for the help!!

kaceyo
10-21-2007, 07:19 PM
For new parents it's sometimes better to remove the filters and run only an airstone. That way the fry aren't attracted to the filter rather than the parents. They are attracted by anything dark. I stop feeding the parents the day before the wrigglers will go freeswimming if filters are removed. Leave filters out till the fry are well attached, say for around 24hrs. Then return the filter and slowly raise the water level. Keep the filter in a plastic bag so it stays damp and it will stay active.
Good luck with your pair,

Kacey

discus bob
10-21-2007, 09:40 PM
For new parents it's sometimes better to remove the filters and run only an airstone. That way the fry aren't attracted to the filter rather than the parents. They are attracted by anything dark. I stop feeding the parents the day before the wrigglers will go freeswimming if filters are removed. Leave filters out till the fry are well attached, say for around 24hrs. Then return the filter and slowly raise the water level. Keep the filter in a plastic bag so it stays damp and it will stay active.
Good luck with your pair,

Kacey

Thanks Kacey. That sounds like a plan for next time. On spawn# 5 maybe #4... that's what happened, they attached to the sponges.

Right now I'm trying my 2 BDs since the female just laid in my 55 community tank. Which brings me to one more question. When forcing a pair to spawn that didn't pair on there own, how long should I wait to see if a spawn occurs. Assuming there is no aggression. I know these would be some nice looking fish but I don't want to waste time if it ain't gonna happen.

kaceyo
10-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Thats hard to say. I've kept two fish together for a couple of months to get a spawn out of them. Watch and see how they behave together for awhile and you'll get a better idea if they're compatible.

Kacey