PDA

View Full Version : New Breeder with a few questions?

jmcholden
10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Hello all,
Let me begin by thanking ALL of you for the whealth of info I've gotten from this site. I have been keeping Discus for 20 yrs off and on as pets. I now have a 55 community Discus tank and a 29 bb breeder set up. I have about 50 fry that have been free swimming for 15 days. Only about 10% are eating BB and they are twice the size of the others. Is this normal ? At what point should all be eating BB ?
Also I have the tank at 50% water level, at what point should I raise the water level back up ? The parents are both still in the tank and seem to be doing well mom is a RT and dad is a PB.
Sorry for not posting pictures but I'm not sure how?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long thread.:p

White Worm
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM
The main reason to lower water level is to get fry to attach. With 15 day old fry, you should have the tank full and keep it clean.

Elite Aquaria
10-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I begin to introduce BBS on the 5th day and by the end of the 7th day all are eating BBS with no problems. Also like Mike stated the lowering of the tank water is only to assist in getting the fry to attach once this has occurred I raise the water back to the top.

Dan

jmcholden
10-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will raise the water level back up.
I've been doing water changes religiously 2-3x's a day.
All the fry seem to be growing just not at the same rate, as I stated only about 10% have the orange bellies from the BB?
I guess time will tell?

jmcholden
10-22-2007, 12:46 AM
OK water level is back up and all is well. Next question, at what point should I cut back on the lighting. I've had the lights on 24/7 since the fry went free swimming. I have a 10 LED moon light I can turn on but the fry scatter around the tank when I turn it on.:confused:
Thanks,
Jon

White Worm
10-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I would also try Hikari first bites for the fry. I would leave some lights on for the first few weeks. Then get them a night light. Turn it on before you turn out the tank lights. LED lights can be very bright depending on the angle. I wouldnt change anything since they are still at the fragile stage. They wont do well with any major changes.

AADiscus
10-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I would leave your tank light on 24/7 for a few more weeks. Everyone should be eating bbs by now, if not them you need to cull them. They will not be very good looking fish in the long run. Also start winging them off the bbs onto other foods, shave BH, frozen bw, live food, etc. This will really get them growing nicely but you have to keep your end of the bargain up. lol Keep your tank extra clean, clean your filter(s) and wipe the tank down good everyday or every other day. You could also bump your water temp up to about 84 to 86.

jmcholden
10-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the info. Tank temp is 84, 30% water changes 2x's a day. I am also feeding First bites and BW's. I will leave the lights on and try to keep up the feedings. I live in San Diego and the wild fires are everywhere. Had to rescue my elderley Grandmother from an evacuation center. Power keeps flickering and its hard to keep up with the tank duties right now. I have back up battery air pumps standing by. I'll keep you posted?