PDA

View Full Version : One month and 3 weeks fry illness

Berdel
10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Im having some problem with my 1 month, 3 weeks old fry.
They are all eating very well and are all very active but during the last 2 weeks ive had some fry which i have become ill.

It all starts with them becomming a bit less active and their belly is really large. Then their eyes get way bigger and they start to develope some red in the facial area. At the time when they are just hanging in the back conor looking really bad i put them to rest.

Ive done that to 2 allready but luckily they were some of my smallest in the batch of now 20. But now i see a few more showing similar signs of this illness including 1 of my largest ones :(

I wish i had a better picture to show you guys but my camara is really of poor quality and im not the best photograph

Rod
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi Berdel, sounds too me like a bacterial disease of some sort. What have you tried so far as far as treatments are concerned? What are you feeding the discus?

Rod

Berdel
10-23-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi Rod

I haven't done any form of treamtemt for about a month now. When they were about 3 weeks old some started to die 3-4 a day so a treated with prazi and then the daily deaths stopped.

Now im effding them with a food mixture where i chop mainly beefheart mix together with chopped artemia, bloodworms and turkey heart.

Rod
10-23-2007, 05:53 AM
Berdel,

Are you willing to dissect one of the bloated specimens? 2 possibilities i have in mind are intestinal obstruction (can be caused by a number of things including the diet, make sure there is not fatty or fiberous material in the turkey and beef hearts) or fluid built up in body cavity. At dissection you can see the urine colored fluids, with an obstruction you can see it in the intestines. You could try some epsom salts and attempt clearing an obstruction. I'd follow that up with an antibiotic course like nifurpirinol or nitrofurazone.

Rod

Rod
10-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi berdel, Just another thought that could cause swelling, once a discus friend had a similar problem and when we dissected there were lots of tapeworms in there. i suspect that it would be rare in such small discus as i have only seen it once, but a possibility. Have a look mate.

Rod