PDA

View Full Version : Discus fighting...

hironobu
10-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Is it normal to have the discus fight and chase each other? I have a 90G tank with just 5 juvenile fish (2.5"). 3 of them grew up together even though they still chase each other around and 2 are newly introduced to them last week. So far I've observed an unusual amount of pecking and chasing. Does anyone know why that is since disucs suppose to be very peaceful fish? Thank you in advance. :)

p.s. no pairs yet so I have ruled out the possibility of breeding. However they seem quite territorial.

White Worm
10-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I've had the same 9 adult discus in my 75g for the last 8 months and they still chase and peck each other. Its normal especially since yours are getting older and establishing the pecking order. They always act like that since they are cichlids. Peaceful fish? Who told you that? No need to worry unless one is taking the majority or damage/injury occurs. With a 90g, you could add a few more which would dispurse the aggression better but make sure you QT first with any new ones.

Don Trinko
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I have 3 tanks with discus. In all 3 they chase each other, especialy at feeding time. They have done no damage so far. Thay apear to stop just short of touching the other fish. Don T.

hironobu
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the advice Mikscus, I will look to add more fish to my tank. Right now I have 1 blue diamond, 1 gold and yellow, 1 brown, and 2 turquoise. I want to add some blood pigeon and royal blue and some snack skins if possible. Any suggestions on how many I can add? I doubt I'll want more than 10 fish in a 90G tank. In the long run my goal is to breed them so 9~10 fish are plenty to start off already. Growing discus are high addictive. I'm an experienced cichlid breeder but this is the first time I handled discus. They are indeed alot of fun and well deserve their reputation.

White Worm
10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
You're welcome and welcome to simply!
Depending on what is in your tank ie..substrate, decor, etc, the rule of thumb is 1 discus per 10g. You could do 9-10 and you would be fine as long as you have good filtration and keep the water clean. Plenty to start with if you plan to breed later. Discus are addictive?? :inquisitive: I have no idea what you are talking about :crazy: No one here is addicted :rolleyes2::D

AADiscus
10-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Discus are addictive?? :inquisitive: I have no idea what you are talking about :crazy: No one here is addicted

Mikscus...you are so right on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

One thing to remember now that you already have discus in your tank is make sure you QT any new ones you get. Give them about 4-6 weeks in that tank. Pull the weakest or the least favorite of the existing tank and put in your QT tank for about a little while and see how it does. If no problems then you are good to go with putting your new fish in with the current ones.

There will normally always be a pecking order in a tank. Sometimes not so noticeable and at times very noticeable. There will always be one king of the castle. lol

Kindredspirit
10-23-2007, 09:53 PM
No one here is addicted :rolleyes2::D

I am not. I only have 8.:D:D

Dolphin Dip
10-23-2007, 10:41 PM
i don't even have my discus tank set up yet and i'm already addicted. =l

hironobu
10-23-2007, 11:06 PM
One thing to remember now that you already have discus in your tank is make sure you QT any new ones you get. Give them about 4-6 weeks in that tank.

This will sound like a stupid question and I have read about this somewhere as well, however I still don't fully understand the reason for QT. Its not like the fish has SARS, okay but seriously yea parasites and water conditions are the major reasons for QT. Is there any other reasons why QT the fish for that long? Thanks for enlighten me! :)

White Worm
10-24-2007, 12:33 AM
QT is important to make sure that the ones you get are not sick. That sometimes takes a while to find out. Some illnesses are pretty apparent and some show up in a couple weeks. Then you should use one from your existing to add to the new ones to make sure it seems ok. Then you can add all together. There is never any 100% guarantee but it definately lowers your chances of getting all of your fish sick and losing fish which = $$$. Then you have to start over. People have lost alot because they skipped the QT. Granted...you still could with a good qt.. but...done right with patience...you will have a safer outcome. You can play roulette but sooner or later you will get around to the chamber with the bullet :D

AADiscus
10-24-2007, 07:17 PM
This is what I always use with our fish......

Your fish get used to your water,feeding habits, etc. They are immuined to your set up. You bring in new fish from a very different set up. Water is the key to discus. They may have a germ but not show it until they get stressed. Then you end up with problems not only in that fish but in alot of your fish you might have. If you QT then you are watching and looking for something different than what your current stock carries. I read one time that all fish carry illness but do not show it because there immune system is good and they do not show it until they start getting a little weak due to alot of things. I like to compare this to humans. You fill good all the time then all of a sudden you get a runny nose and are sick with the flu, etc. You can not be well 100% 365 days a year. It is the same with our fish. They will have there off time but the less you can minimize it the better off you are. That is the importance of QT!!!!!!;)

Cosmo
10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
You can play roulette but sooner or later you will get around to the chamber with the bullet :D

Perfect analogy..