PDA

View Full Version : Silver/grey based LSS fry?

kaceyo
10-27-2007, 06:15 PM
In a recent spawn of SE's I noticed that about 10 of fry have a very grey base color compared to the rest. It's so different that they stand out in the group of brown/orange based fry. The other major difference with them is, unfortunetly, that they are all among the smallest of the group. There are both SS and 9bar types and also some in between looking fry with hi-lites of both colors, tho only the all grey's are very small. I would have culled them by now except that I'm very curious about them. Are they a throwback or something else? Are dwarf discus on the horizon :) They eat well and are as lively as the rest, but only half the size.
If you've run accross this in LSS's, or any SS's for that matter, let me know if you grew them out.

Kacey

Tropical Haven
10-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Kacey do you have a picture of them?

tinsel town tommy
10-27-2007, 07:39 PM
In a recent spawn of SE's I noticed that about 10 of fry have a very grey base color compared to the rest. It's so different that they stand out in the group of brown/orange based fry. The other major difference with them is, unfortunetly, that they are all among the smallest of the group. There are both SS and 9bar types and also some in between looking fry with hi-lites of both colors, tho only the all grey's are very small. I would have culled them by now except that I'm very curious about them. Are they a throwback or something else? Are dwarf discus on the horizon :) They eat well and are as lively as the rest, but only half the size.
If you've run accross this in LSS's, or any SS's for that matter, let me know if you grew them out.

Kacey

LSS seem to get smaller over generations. Im not sure why exactly. But yes i have noticed this same thing. Just to inbred i suppose. Out cross the best female LSS with a young hearty fish unrelated to the LSS line. The percentage of better and hearty LSS will go up.

Any who

Tommy

kaceyo
10-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Scott, can't do pics right now. When I want to post pics I have to send card with someone to load onto their setup as I'm not equiped for it.
Tommy, It's not so much that the line is getting smaller as that the few individual greys have got me wondering what they'll turn into if I grow them out. I'm just at the very beginning of my lines and they are all crosses of different strains of LSS and/or RSG so far.

Kacey