PDA

View Full Version : Spawn Behavior Age

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-27-2007, 11:41 PM
At what age will Discus begin to display spawning behavior? I know they are not sexually mature till around 18-20 months old but can they display behavior before that?

I ask this because I have a couple that seemed to have "paired off" in my grow out tank. They are the 2 largest and neither one is even a year old yet. They are hanging out in the leaves of a large potted Amazon Sword and they seem to be cleaning off leaves and one is constantly attempting to gain the attention of the other. Is it possible that they can mature early?

Rod
10-28-2007, 12:26 AM
At what age will Discus begin to display spawning behavior? I know they are not sexually mature till around 18-20 months old but can they display behavior before that?

I ask this because I have a couple that seemed to have "paired off" in my grow out tank. They are the 2 largest and neither one is even a year old yet. They are hanging out in the leaves of a large potted Amazon Sword and they seem to be cleaning off leaves and one is constantly attempting to gain the attention of the other. Is it possible that they can mature early?

Whoever told you they are not sexually mature until 18-20 months has no idea what they are talking about, better stick to advice from Simply discus members. Sexual maturity can be as early as 7 months., but normal is more around 12 months. Ive got grandparent discus at 18 months of age!!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Ok, thanks. This is the first time I've ever had them do anything like this. Should I remove the other Discus that tare in the tank?

Tropical Haven
10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
You could take out the other discus or remove the pair and put them in their own tank.