PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tile in Aquarium?

wilddiscuss
10-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi all,

I have been trying to find out about ceramic tile and what is safe. So me the worry wort that I am want the pros opinion. I want to put some ceramic tile in the fish tank. What kind can I put in there? If the tile is glazed is that ok? Please help! I want to put the right stuff in there that won't harm water or the fish. Thanks for your time!

Todd

Tropical Haven
10-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I am not understanding why you want to put ceramic tile in your tank but if your want to do it I would use aquarium silicone to adhear the tiles and use no grout. Grout is not made for aquarium use.

wilddiscuss
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I am not understanding why you want to put ceramic tile in your tank but if your want to do it I would use aquarium silicone to adhear the tiles and use no grout. Grout is not made for aquarium use.

I have a little project I am putting together. I will post pictures upon completion. I do plan on using aquarium silicone. I was just curious as to the tile itself. If glazed matters or what not.

Todd

Northwestcoastdisc
10-30-2007, 02:44 PM
In South America or Asia, other places hatcheries or wholesaleers, they have tile aquariums the lot of fish live in Tile aquariums, I havent ask them how could they build tile aquariums. I believe use silicons and tile to make tile aquariums IMO

Duncan

2sybs
10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I see no reason why tile can not be used in an aquarium, and not just using silicone. they make an epoxy grout that is completely water proof and can be used under water. I've used it for hot tub applications.
Ray

Don Trinko
10-31-2007, 08:22 AM
When I am not sure if something is ok for an aquarium I put it in a bucket of water and measure the TDS before I put it in and a few days later. If the TDS does not change I assume it's ok. Don T.

wilddiscuss
10-31-2007, 09:02 AM
TDS? What is the TDS? I probably can check it with my master kit...but what does that mean TDS? I am sorry but I am a newbie to the Discus world. Sorry I am a rookie. I think it means Total Dissolved Solids? What is a bad reading and what is a good one? I dunno. Please Help! Thanks.

Todd

Tropical Haven
10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
TDS = Total Disolved Solids

Your master kit won't be able to test for this, you need a probe or meter for this.

wilddiscuss
10-31-2007, 09:13 AM
OK. But what is a bad TDS reading. I saw a meter on buckeye supply. The COM-100 which is the 2nd one down on this linked page:

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Sub=149&showspecials=149

Does this meter look like a good one? I am just curious because I am looking for a meter for PH and the ones I have come across you have to soak the metal peice you dip in the water to check the PH in a fluid at all times when it is not being used. I want one where it will be with ease. I just use it, and put it away. Anyone know a good PH meter like that? I hope TDS meters aren't like that. Is this TDS meter like that?

Todd

LizStreithorst
10-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Ceramic tile is inert. I'd go with cilicone rather than epoxy though because if you use epoxy you will never be able to take the tile out if you change your mind later on.

fishmama
10-31-2007, 10:58 AM
I concur with Liz...just avoid any funky glazes...they often have "non-food safe" metal additives, etc.

Apistomaster
10-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Even the glazed tiles are safe. I prefer tiles with a simulated natural stone finish. In my project, the tile facing is more attractive than having to look at the algae growing on the inside face of the front glass of the planter/terrace box.
I have used them cut into strips as spawning surfaces and decoratively as the facing on my glass/silicone planter box in my Heckel Discus display tank. The front half of the aquarium bottom has only a enough sand on it to conceal the underlying bare glass.
I use aquarium safe silicone sealant to attach the tile to the planter box. I think it would be difficult to find a ceramic floor or wall tile product that is unsafe for aquarium use. Here is a photo of the finished project.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/P8210047.jpg

Kindredspirit
10-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Are you sure Larry? We are talking about those cute little individual glazed cover tiles you see at Home Depot and Lowes?

Apistomaster
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi kindred,
I am more sure than some because wilddiscuss PM'ed me weeks ago and since then we have been having back and forth discussions on this topic so I know more about his project than has been posted in the thread.

I have underestimated his anxiety level despite my advice to consider using only the ceramic stone finished floor or counter top tiles.
Never did get the impression he was considering the little tiles with gee gaws painted on them.
Old timer's like me forget sometimes what a big step keeping your first discus represents to the beginning discus keeper. I take so much for granted and have kept so many discus that despite my love for these fish, they are only another fish to me. They are not all that fragile, wilddiscuss, as you will soon learn.

Kindredspirit
10-31-2007, 05:41 PM
that despite my love for these fish, they are only another fish to me. .

Shame on you, Larry! They could never be "just another fish" ~

You are on restriction.:D:D

They are not all that fragile, wilddiscuss, as you will soon learn.

I agree ~ I was just thinking this recently as well ~

Deadwood
10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Careful brighter colored tile might have a lot of lead.:(

wilddiscuss
10-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi kindred,
I am more sure than some because wilddiscuss PM'ed me weeks ago and since then we have been having back and forth discussions on this topic so I know more about his project than has been posted in the thread.

I have underestimated his anxiety level despite my advice to consider using only the ceramic stone finished floor or counter top tiles.
Never did get the impression he was considering the little tiles with gee gaws painted on them.
Old timer's like me forget sometimes what a big step keeping your first discus represents to the beginning discus keeper. I take so much for granted and have kept so many discus that despite my love for these fish, they are only another fish to me. They are not all that fragile, wilddiscuss, as you will soon learn.

Thanks Larry you have been so much help with this project I am doing. Your planter box is what inspired me to do this project. I thank you for your time and patience with me :) I am an over worried newbie...lol. I just want it all to be perfect....but as a fish hobbiest I know there will be problems that arrive. I just want to be a bit more secure on my Discus :) I'm glad you liked the tiles I picked out you saw through the PM. You gave me the ok...and that makes me happy....lol. As you are the pro and I am the young padawan learner...lol. Thanks all for the feedback. I apreciate it all.

Todd

wilddiscuss
10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Careful brighter colored tile might have a lot of lead.:(

I am going with the natural stone looking one that has a..... how can I say it...semi-gloss glaze. It's not that shiny 4x4 inch tile bright colored stuff you see in bathrooms. Here is a pic:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/826/tilehk7.jpg

Todd :)