PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fluttering

imac1184
11-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Well not really fluttering. Its like they gyrate in front of each other. They do it in front of each other especially when they start nipping at each other. I notice the larger ones are doing this. They are in a group of 8 juvenilies btw.

Is this them establishing dominance?

or is it some sort of breeding act?

Also should i be concerned if they lip lock at all when they start getting aggressive towards each other?

No one seems bullied too much at this point, they just get mean every once in a while.

Thanks in advance.

Don Trinko
11-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm not an expert but all my discus have similar behavier. It is probably establishing the pecking order but can also be pre mating.
Mine never do any damage; they nip lightly and most of the time don't even touch the other discus. I've been told that they can get nasty so it's a good idea to have a method of seperating them if neccisary. (a divider made from light diffusers is one cheap way to do this) Don T.

GulfCoastDiscus
11-05-2007, 07:31 PM
They might be trying to pair up. Do you notice any of them cleaning an object in the tank or bowing to one another?

:)

Sterno
11-06-2007, 03:42 AM
my 2 discus do the same thing

Iovino Gennaro
11-06-2007, 09:39 AM
It's some sort of breeding act.

2sybs
11-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I am far from an expert as well but...
Is it a kinda waggle?
Sounds like a dominance "dance"/ challenge to me, particularly accompanied by nipping.
Ray