PDA

View Full Version : suspected pair- seperate other fish?

Don Trinko
11-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I have 2 RSG that apear to be pairing up. Can I keep the other discus in with them untill they prove to be a pair?. ( 4 fish in 29g, raised from small together.) I have a tank for the other fish but I'm not anxious to move them and then find out that I do not have a pair and then have to move them back again. Don T.

C_of_Discus
11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I would say yes.

I have in the past Discus pair up and left them in the 125 gal I had with 8 other discus and other community fish they even started to breed.

Nothing ever came of the eggs because of all the activity in the tank. They will stake out their territoy and defend it and this may cause an issue with the other fish.

Don Trinko
11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
They are the 2 biggest and # 1 and 2 in the pecking order, Also the best looking.. I'm not worried abought the eggs just the safety of the other fish. If they prove to be pair I will try to raise the young. Thanks; Don T.

AADiscus
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Did I read that correct that you have 4 adult fish in a 29 gal tank? I would defiantly move the other two out if this is the case. Sometimes I have put 3 fish in there to try to get a female to spawn but that is just for a short period of time. You are better off having them all in a bigger tank together, let the try at spawning for a little bit and then put them in a breeder tank. You don't want to have your female get burned out if the male isn't fertile yet.

Don Trinko
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I bought these fish in June. My best estimate is that they are abought 8 months old. My intention was to raise them in the 29g and if a pair forms the remove the others and let the pair have the 29g. If no pair move them to a bigger tank as they got too big for the 29. The suspected pair was 2" in June they are now 5" and 4 1/2". Don T.