PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts?

11-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I have a few questions.
I have read a lot and learned so much. I have a pair of discus in a breeding tank.

I have a pair of discus, no proven. Had them for a month or so. At first, they were really active and peaceful for the first few weeks. The female laid once and I was not there to see if the male fertilized. But I saw them both looking after the eggs. However, after the first 24 hours, the female began to eat the eggs. I added MB after they spawned and what was interesting was that the male was trying to stop the female from eating them.
I had to go to a conference over one weekend and when I came back, i would be extremely careful not to make sudden moves around the tank. However, they began more skittish, esp the female. Now she's in the corner facing the back behind the male. The male is eating great, but no as much for the female.

I was wondering from everyone experience, would you guys suggest that i should treat with metro for hex or could it be a period when they are trying to get use to me? I understand one of the things to see is white poo which i have not seen. I have read that that behavior could be the early stages on Hex.

Any thoughts!? :confused:

fishmama
11-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi and Welcome 12345!

I would NOT jump into treatment. There is no indication this is Hex. What are your water parameters? Are you sure the "male" is really that? How old are they? Does the "male" sequester the female? Can you provide any pics? Any other tankmates? What is your current setup and water change routine?

Good luck,
Fishmama

11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
They are in a 20 high tank and the "male" is about 4.5 inches. The female is about 4 inches. I have not tested the water in a while but the tank is well established. I have been feeding them frozen BWs and Colorbits. The nitrate is little to non (about 10ppm) and 0 nitrite. I change the water daily, about 40% with treated tap water with stress coat and the 7.0pH buffer (seachem).
For tank mates, i have a male and female albino bristlenose plecos in there.

11-07-2007, 10:30 PM
And thank you so much for the quick response and welcome fishmama!

fishmama
11-07-2007, 10:47 PM
No problem! There are many here with much more experience but, just a thought that the female and male are not a true pair and/or the "tap water" has fluxuated recently (common this time of year). What city are you in? Other members may be able to help in your area. Also, with buffers, etc you have to be pretty careful...sometimes you may be slightly off.

Also, unless they are a true pair...the two would be better off with 4 "friends"! Discus do best in groups...in a larger tank of course.

What is your temp at? And don't fret...I have females that lay eggs often and my male is more than happy to stand by and eat them in the night! ;-)

hth,
Lisa

Ardan
11-08-2007, 06:31 AM
the methylene blue may have killed or affected the biofilter.

you need to do wc's daily of 50%
make sure to use proper declor or prime

hth
Ardan

11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I checked the ammonia and nitrite and it did not seem like the MB affected the filter enough to showed readings in this catagories. However, they've been less skittish for the last 4 days since I have decreased the amount of feeding i usually provide for them. One thing i read is that quite possibly, they do not see me as a source of food since they have been constantly full. So they may just see me as a threat since they are not hungry. I want to enjoy seeing me as I provide food for them. Is there any sense in this idea? Could it really be simply over feeding them?

Thanks!

Alan

pcsb23
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Alan, I would feed them little and often. Also don't bother with the seachem ph7 buffer, more trouble than its worth imo. Start with stable water and then go from there. Ardan is correct MB can affect the biofilter so keep an eye on that too. Good luck.

11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone!
I've been doing WCs daily and it looks like they are ready to spawn again. They are cleaning the breeding tubes right now as I type. I was told to feed them only FBW and I listened knowning that it is not the best thing. So I am trying to cut down on the feeding so that they will begin to take other types of food. Could someone be kind enough post how their step by step procedures of what they do from spawning to taking care of frys? I have read and searched. I just can't to see a step by step instructions.

Kenny's Discus
11-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes Alan I agree with Paul. That could be one of the reasons...some fish when fed excessively will act skittish or shy; they usually just spend most of the time near the tank bottom digesting their food. I think part of it is the fish has no incentives to swim out to the front of their tank looking for food anymore. For the time being try to feed them a little less and see if you notice any difference in their behavior.

Kenny

11-11-2007, 05:26 PM
It has been about 14 hours since they laid and they are still caring for the eggs. The female is fanning the eggs as i left the light on all night. Any suggestions on whether or not i should try to add some food for them? Sorry for all the questions. :(

pcsb23
11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
No reason not to try some food, just a little though. Some pairs will eat and some won't when tending eggs, good luck :)

11-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Another questions is whether or not i should lower the water level. I've heard that i should, but is it too early? Should I add MB?

pcsb23
11-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Its too late to add MB, normally added an hour or so after spawning. And only time to lower the water is if the fry have probs attaching, otherwise don't.