PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp.

robust discus
11-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Today,i bought 13 ghost shrimps and placed in 48 galloon tank with two adult discus. I am aware, four of the shrimps carried eggs. The question is, will my tank be fill with ghost shrimps down the road or will the discus in control of the shrimp population?

thanx.

reelay0
11-10-2007, 12:23 AM
the discus will figure out that the shrimp are food eventually. I believe that shrimp are in the discus' natural diet.

see this thread about red cherry shrimp and discus:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=54156&highlight=cherry+shrimp

and a thread about ghost shrimp and discus:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59379&highlight=cherry+shrimp

I just bought some red cherry shrimp from a fellow member, and they have their own 10g tank. I hope they'll breed and overpopulate to give my discus something to snack on.

Apistomaster
11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Discus don't eat adult ghost shrimp but do eat their young.
When I want to raise ghost shrimp I remove four berried females and place them in a large open mesh net suspended in a well established and heavily planted tank. I remove each female as soon as her eggs have hatched. I begin to feed the tank lightly with baby brine shrimp and a small amount of a sinking tablet food. After a few weeks the apparently empty tank will begin to crawl with miniature ghost shrimp. They can be large enough to live with discus in about four months.
Cherry shrimp sometimes eek out a marginal existence in a heavily planted discus tank. Their greatest threats to life are the predation by large discus and disappearance into filters. Their young are so small that few escape the filters even if they escape the discus.

Diamond Discus
11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Discus don't eat adult ghost shrimp but do eat their young.
When I want to raise ghost shrimp I remove four berried females and place them in a large open mesh net suspended in a well established and heavily planted tank. I remove each female as soon as her eggs have hatched. I begin to feed the tank lightly with baby brine shrimp and a small amount of a sinking tablet food. After a few weeks the apparently empty tank will begin to crawl with miniature ghost shrimp. They can be large enough to live with discus in about four months.
Cherry shrimp sometimes eek out a marginal existence in a heavily planted discus tank. Their greatest threats to life are the predation by large discus and disappearance into filters. Their young are so small that few escape the filters even if they escape the discus.I use a sponge over my filter intake in my cherry shrimp tank. I still find some small ones who get through the sponge when I clean out the canister filter, but they are alive and go back into the tank. LOL I started with 25 cherry shrimp and 1 pregnant female, ordered them from aquabid. I have sold hundreds locally and recently moved them from their 20 gallon heavily planted tank to a 110 gallon tank. I moved over 600 shrimp. Then I had to leave the microscopic ones in the 20 to grow out longer so I could net them, there were 75 more 3 weeks later. LOL I used to put a breeding mop in the tank the night before and the next morning hold a net under the mop as I slowly pull it out of the water. This is to catch 50 or more at a time to sell. More mops, more shrimp caught. LOL They are a blast to watch. Mine will eat anything but love algae wafers and blood worms the most. I have put fish in my cherry shrimp tank before, and the shrimp detect danger and stop free swimming, staying on the bottom more. They adapt to predators too. If you keep a sanctuary area, like a stack of 2 inch round rocks in the corner of the tank or a hollow piece of drift wood they can get into, they will still have babies and some babies will survive.

Apistomaster
11-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I also raise my cherry shrimp in dedicated tanks with sponge filters or sponge prefilters. Left alone like that they are very productive, as you have already discovered.