PDA

View Full Version : Best plants consuming nitrates

guille2007
11-11-2007, 01:30 AM
What are the best plants consuming nitrates?, hear that some are betters than others.

Hans Kloss
11-11-2007, 05:45 AM
What are the best plants consuming nitrates?.

Any fast growing in your tank conditions, but the best one is probably pistia stratiotes. In my tank with pistia nitrates are unmeasurable permanently . It takes a lot of light but its growth is almost not depending on CO2 in water.
Hans

guille2007
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, water lettuces long roots, also heard of cabomba and bacopas(money plants), thinking in a nitrates filter that could be a heavily planted little tank where water from the main tank could in/out there, would it works?

Hans Kloss
11-11-2007, 01:02 PM
thinking in a nitrates filter that could be a heavily planted little tank where water from the main tank could in/out there, would it works?

It works, but usually with moderate efficacy. If you want to try I can recommend limnofila aquatica- fast growing, easy to keep even in soft/acidic water and not very light depend plant.
Hans

guille2007
11-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Will do, nitrates is costing me frecuent WC even with water still clean since by day 3 it reachs 30 ppm, after having started at 5-10 ppm.

Thanks Hans, your experience about worths.

crazie.eddie
11-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Here's a list of plants that take up nitrates more efficiently...

Echinodorus ranunculoides
Littorella uniflora (American shoreweed)
Lobelia dortmanna (Water Lobelia)
Luronium natans (Floating Water Plantain)

I found it from article awhile ago...

http://www.aquabotanic.com/plants_and_biological_filtration.htm

guille2007
11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Here's a list of plants that take up nitrates more efficiently...

Echinodorus ranunculoides
Littorella uniflora (American shoreweed)
Lobelia dortmanna (Water Lobelia)
Luronium natans (Floating Water Plantain)

I found it from article awhile ago...

http://www.aquabotanic.com/plants_and_biological_filtration.htm

Thanks, very interesting link

GrillMaster
11-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Wisteria, Hygrophelia polysperma and stargrass to name a few. Most any stem plants suck up nitrates pretty quick. Planted with enough of the fore mentioned plants, you will have to actually add KN03 to feed em! :D

The object is to put enough in there so they will suck it up. A few plants here and there wont cut it, it has to be a pretty dense planting. The plants will establish themselves in the tank after a couple of weeks with adequate lighting. You should see a difference in the nitrate readings after that.

tc
Mark