PDA

View Full Version : About asian discus and toxic, harmful nitrates

Hans Kloss
11-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Today I've met one of my discus keeping friends. We live in the same city, but we are not very keeping in touch with one another.
He is an asian discus lover just like me, but he prefer red strains which I personally don't like too much.
He is not only discus keeper, he is also a breeder doing it mostly for fun, but also for the money.
After one or two beers he invited me to visit his small discus hatchery. I shot some photos from there and asked him some questions about imported discus. I've also measured his water parameters (pH and nitrates) with results which may be unbelievable for low-nitrates-keeping aquarists.
Briefly - his nitrates measured shortly before WC (20% WC twice a week) were 55 to 78 ppm!! with pH between 5.5 and 6. I've tested several his tanks, mostly those with fry fed by parents and with small juveniles shortly after removing their parents out.
Being chemist I can measure nitrates with 2-3 ppm precision even at home and CAN TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the results accuracy.
All measurements were compared with standard containing 50 ppm of nitrate ion (on the left at pict.5). I feel shocked until now but I know his "secret"- it is perfect fish deworming.
So... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

kaceyo
11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Hans,
I usually stay out of the nitrate levels discussions as I've heard of too many examples of successful hatcheries that have unbelievably high nitrate levels. Stendker for one is supposed to have them near the tripple digets. In the case of most US discus hobbiests it's almost a non-issue IMO as the frequent WC's keep them low. I've always wondered tho if their was some condition that allowed the extremely high nitrates to exist without effecting the health of the discus.
On the deworming, I've noticed that immedietly after deworming my fish ( w/levamisol) they act more fearless and playfull than at any other time. I don't know if it has anything to do with there actually being any less worms, but it's quite noticable and the effect lessens within a week to their more normal behavior.
Can you give us some details on how your friend achieves his perfect deworming?

Kacey

Don Trinko
11-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm amazed!
I am not one of the 100%/day wc people but I'm not once a month wc either. I have let nitrates get over 40 in Angel tanks with no ill effect and at one time I let my discus tank get over 20.
Thanks for the information. Don T.

brewmaster15
11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Kacey,
I was talking with Ardan the other day and he mentioned an article he came across that stated that levamisole is an immuno stimulant,,

the levamisole is an immuno- stimulator came from a book "Colorguide of tropical fish diseases" by Dr. Gerald Bassleer

That was news to me...but does explain yours and others observations.

-al

Hans Kloss
11-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Can you give us some details on how your friend achieves his perfect deworming?

Here you can find all his procedures described in details ;) :
http://www.discusforum.info/viewtopic.php?t=235
but there is one major requirement- all deworming process must be controlled with microscope. It is not difficult, personally I use chinese toy microscope from Wallmart with glass optics and max 300x magnification and it is fully sufficient to find and identify all harmful worms and protozoans.
There also his zoological garden may be useful (far not all parasites but only those most frequently found ):
http://www.discusforum.info/viewtopic.php?t=231
Hans

PS. Microscopic investigation should be performed using fish feces, mucus and gills swab.

kaceyo
11-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Al,
I've read that too but didn't know that an immuno-stimulator could produce such a powerful effect.
Hans,
Thanks for the info.

Kacey

April
11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
i found them..but not my language. : ) but interesting to see the pics .

kaceyo
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes. A bit disappointing as it's in some kinda Scandi-speak. Is there a translator for that language?

Kacey