PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes for Adults

chago09
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I know water changes are key in the success of growing juvie discus, but do you continue it after your discus are fully grown???

Like I know with other discus after it's fully grown you can slow down feeding, which in turn slows down water change because there is not as much waste. If a fish is not growing anymore then a juvie diet is not required anymore right.

So do all of you cut back on water changes for adults in a show tank??? or do you keep up the same habbits??

Just curious thanks

Don Trinko
11-12-2007, 07:34 PM
You will get a lot of opinions on this.
Here is mine: You can cut back on WC some but you can not eliminate them. Same for feeding but if you cut back on feeding growth will slow also. Everything you and the fish put in the tank will stay in the tank in some form or another. WC is the cheapest/simplest way to remove the "bad stuff". Don T.

Ardan
11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
WC is the cheapest/simplest way to remove the "bad stuff
So true!!

Less water change = a better chance of fish getting sick ime (my experience is tanks with less wc's are more likely and usually soonest to have sick fish when disease strikes the fishroom)

and once they get sick, you can easily spend way more on medication than you would have on doing more wc's:)

Ardan